FX1000, Just purchased one at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 17th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FX1000, Just purchased one

Well, about 2 weeks ago I purchased it. If you go to my site in my signature you can look at some videos I tested with it.

But here is my opinion...

Remember, this is coming from the HV30, so I might have thought any upgrade was amazing (not knocking the hv30, I love that camera still).

The first thing I found was that the camera felt very professional, looked very professional, and weighed a good amount. (I think they quote ~4.8lbs on their site)

After charging the batter (4 hours), I turned it on and saw the amazing colors on the LCD. Much brighter and more true to the monitor output on the computer screen. (This was later when I hooked it up via hdmi). Where my HV30 would somewhat lie to me, since it wasn't always what I saw on the screen is how nice and saturated the picture would be on the computer.

The other amazing feature of this camera is it's low light capability. Just standing in a room with a standard 60W buld made the picture look great. I could see a lot of documentaries being shot with this camera, or reality Tv shows. I took it outside after sunset, much passed the 'magic hour', and did a little shooting. Even at 18db gain, when I hooked it up to my TV I believe it was still acceptable. If I had a wedding shot at this quality, I'd be pleased. (My Tv is a 1080P Sharp Aquos 42")

Since the purchase I really haven't been shooting THAT much with it, because most of my work is for stock videos, and this camera isn't easy to take out in public. I have been doing a lot of indoor table top shots, and infront of my backdrops.

Make sure to check out some of the clips and results I have posted on my page. I love this camera!!!
Old January 17th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #2
Trustee

Congrats Steve, I've seen some really fine footage from the 1000, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Glad you like your camera Steve. Here's some recent wedding footage for you to peek at. This is some shaky footage, and keep in mind I had the image stabilization turned off, so it's extra bad when she's getting ready. Otherwise you can at least get an idea of what the camera will do in SD widescreen mode. I have come to the conclusion that it is best to run in HD and then capture with Neo Scene for best possible images. You'll need to right click and download before playing, as it's about 70MB

http://jeffharpervideo.com/Videos/wmv/BrandyMisc
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #4
Major Player

Steve, Jeff- Excellent footage!

I have been eagerly drooling over this model ever since I read about it last fall. I am seriously considering adding it to my arsenal. I shoot mainly weddings and am expanding in to the dance recital/live performance market. How do you feel this camera compares to others in your arsenal? I have been toying with the idea of this or a Z5U (the XLR version of this cam), Z7U, or Z270. Whichever cam I get now will take the lead with my HD1000U as b-roll... Would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!
Old January 17th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #5
Trustee

Jeff, very nice. I can't imagine my VX2100 being any sharper than that. How much does the 16:9 SD footage direct from the cam compare to this HD downrez'd footage...or is this the downrez'd footage?
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Ken that footage was shot in SD to begin with. It would've been better had I shot in HD and captured with NeoScene, not that I'm complaining, as it turned out fine. The only issues with the footage I have encountered were due to my using improper settings and trying to shoot using manual exposure all day.
Old January 18th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Trustee

So Jeff, do you think this footage would have been any better with the VX2100? The other question is since you shot it in 16:9, I wonder how much of a difference in picture quality there would have been had it been shot in 4:3 with the 1000. Other than the change in AR, would this have had an impact on PQ? I just got back from a corporate shoot and don't think my footage looked any sharper than what you got in SD from the 1000, but of course my footage was all 4:3.

There may be more contrast in the 2100, but as I've said before, that's not always a good thing and can be adjusted in the 1000 if you like that look.
Old January 18th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I don't know the answer to your questions but I do know I personally wouldn't use the camera for 4:3 since I have a PD150. That is why I kept one. I'm sure the FX1000 does fine for 4:3.
Old January 18th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #9
Trustee

Thanks Jeff. Once B&H gets one on display (or a Z5), I'll give it a try.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000