Aquarium shooters here ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 1st, 2009, 03:10 AM   #1
New Boot

Aquarium shooters here ?

Hi @all !

I am new to the group and enjoy reading here since two weeks. Great board to gain knowledge from folks who use the cams regularly.

Having way to many fish tanks with tropical marine fish and being a breeder I use extensively my Canon D40 to take pictures, but this is starting to get me bored and I want to move to video. As I give lectures and publish my pictures the personal quality standard is set to high ;)

Therefore the current cam vote is for the FX1000 as I believe it provides plenty of features I can use.

Anyone here who had practical experience with capturing videos of fish and corals?

Take care,

Peter
Peter Schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Peter. While I have shot at an aquarium with a Betacam, I haven't had an opportunity to do it with any HDV camera yet. I am really looking forward to have an opportunity to do it. I think any of these HDV cameras would look fantastic, especially one like the FX1000. But I can still give you one hint. Turn off the tally (record) light on the front of the camera so you don't have a strange glowing red dot in all of your video footage.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:38 AM   #3
Major Player

I shot a clip of my breeder tank with my PD170 a month ago when one of my mollies had babies. Focus was a real pain (they are small and fast) but I had time on my hands and wanted to share a clip with my aquarium friends on an aquarium board. The thing I also noticed is tall tanks are not 16x9 friendly (I shot some images of my main tank and it didn't work out so good.) Anyways, if you're interested here is a link to the clip.
Nursury640.flv video by AquaBry - Photobucket
Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:06 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for your answers - good tip with tally light ;)

Keeping the fish on focus will be the trick part. I have more then 30 tanks running and could make tons of videos - yes, I am nuts :D
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:09 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Peter, maybe you could go hog wild with the lighting, make a real production out of it, and make swimming fish dvds and sell the DVDs at local pet stores...market them as TV for cats. Just for fun.

If they were nice, and you found a local store to sell them, you would need to package them nicely, and I would almost guarantee you would sell a few...cat lovers will sometimes buy ANYTHING for their cats. Use some sooting royalty free music...this is of course NOT an origninal idea, but might be fun project.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:33 AM   #6
New Boot

Jeff,

as I sell my breeding fish to the biggest European wholesaler and my name is known in the fish world this would be probably possible. BUT having a full time job (somebody has to pay for all the fish), breeding marine fish as a side business and (still :D ) having a girl friend, time is really the culprit here. So I guess the videos will most likely be more for fun and my lectures. Although ... there is a Web Aqua TV which contacted me already ... one never knows ;)
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:44 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Schmiedel View Post
... there is a Web Aqua TV which contacted me already ... one never knows ;)
Next would be (???): Making video's of grass, growing . .
Just kidding.
Jo Ouwejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Ouwejan View Post
Next would be (???): Making video's of grass, growing . .
Just kidding.
Everyone needs a hobby. And if it can generate some cash, why not aquarium video. Heck, I shoot trains, both real ones and model layouts, in HD and SD. To each his own :)

Mike
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000