35mm Adapter for Z5? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

35mm Adapter for Z5?

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am a long-time photographer making the move over to video. This will seem like a really stupid question, but I have been reading about 35mm lens adapters for video cameras (e.g. Letus); can such devices can be used with my Z5? Or are they only for cameras with interchangeable lenses?

It seems too good to be true that I could use lenses like my Zeiss ZF 100mm f/2 with my Z5.

Bill
Bill Ackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:20 AM   #2
Major Player

I only jumped aboard here just about a week ago and sofar I have not seen any postings here about 35mm adaptors in combination with the ruling cameras of this forum.
But one thing I can tell you for sure. 35mm Adaptors are not only for cameras with interchangeable lenses. I know many owners of HV20 . . 40 cameras bought themselves an adaptor.
The 35mm adaptor not only gives you a deeper DoF, but it also adds to the film-feel. Now I believe, that the Picture Profiling of the Sonys might give an attractive alternative.
Jo Ouwejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:41 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Bill:

Simply stated, a 35mm adapter is a device that allows the video camera to photograph an image derived from a 35mm lens. What is employed is a ground glass that accepts the image from the 35mm lens, and the video camera records the image from the other side of the ground glass. Static adapters show dust and scratches on the ground glass, so the ground glass is put in motion, either by spinning it like with the Redrock, SGPro types, and Letus's latest adapter, or by vibration as in the original Letus, and in Cinevate's Brevis, or many others. The adapters are designed with various achromats and condensers to get the video camera capable of getting close enought, and to avoid edge vignetting. As long as the achromat can achieve that with your camera, it is usable.

Using one is a royal pain. You have to concious constantly of double focusing- first to assure the video camera is focused on the ground glass, and second, to assure your 35mm lens is properly focused.

The results vary from adapter to adapter. But the benefit of the adapter is found in its film like depth of field-- which is the whole purpose of the adapter in the first place.
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks, guys for the great information. Obviously not just a simple matter of slapping a lens on an adapter. Got to learn to crawl before I can run. I figure by the time I get any kind of proficiency in shooting video and able to take advantage of this kind of adapter (I'm giving myself 4 years), I'll probably have in my bag a DSLR that can shoot decent video using all of my great 35mm glass.

Bill
Bill Ackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #5
Tourist

Hello!

My first post here. I have a Letus Extreme on my Z5 and it works wonders!!! It's still missing a matte box + follow focus but other than that, love it!!!

Pete Vaatainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Pete,

The Letus Extreme looks very interesting.

Do you have an internet link where I can see more about it ?

Thanks.
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thank you.
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Jag 35mm adapter: Products , I have been looking at this model. My friend has it for his HV30 and he loves it. Not too badly priced either.

I will keep you posted if I purchase one, I was thinking by the end of the year, depending on sales/funds

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000