Steadicam Merlin at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 10th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Steadicam Merlin

Has anyone used the Steadicam Merlin without a vest with the FX1000? If so how is it working out. I was about to buy one and luckily came across some info that cast doubt into my mind as to whether it will work.

I have double posted, but since this is relatively new camera I felt my chances of a response would be much greater doing so. I hope the powers that be will let this slide!

I am looking at a used Merlin so time is of the essence, hence the double post.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Jeff !!
I think merlin is for cameras below 5 pounds,Z5 or FX1000 are
to heavy for merlin!,but who knows maybe somebody has try it?

Franklin
Franklin Bencosme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Franklin. The FX1000 is 4lbs 9oz, so according to the specs it should work. The Z5 weighs 5lb 1oz so it definitely will be over spec.

Even though the FX1000 is within spec, I want to know it works before spending the money. With a small LED and smaller battery it will come in at just under 5lbs.
Old February 10th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #4
Major Player

The specs say its OK for the Z1, FX1 so it is possible to put the FX1000 on and not breaking the gimball. But, believe me, a bare Merlin with a camera, and often on board accessories like lights, mic, bracket etc., is just too heavy and fatiguing to hold for longer than 2-3 minutes at a time. it is also cumbersome to operate the camera's controls while one of your hands has to carry the whole rig. You absolutely need the arm and vest accessories, period.

Wacharapong
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Wach, the info you provided is not what I wanted to hear, but I knew it to be the case (regarding the vest).

After I read your post I took a 10lb dumbbell and held it like a Merlin and walked around with it
and in absolutely no time my arm was tired.

I very much appreciate your post. Thank you.
Old February 10th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Jeff, I have a Merlin and have used it with the 1000 with good results. The Merlin is maxed out with a bare 1000 and 760 battery, but it will balance.
Old February 10th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Tim, you said the Merlin is maxed with only a 760 battery. Any wiggle room for 2 more oz? (Sima Light) or would I have to try it to find out?
Old February 11th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #8
Major Player

I would skip the Merlin, due to the fatigue problems in time.
Try the CB-105, from Dynamic Motion Video, I checked compatibility with the FX1000.
Here is a link: About CB-105 Video Camera Stabilizer Shoulder Support
Jo Ouwejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 02:33 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Interesting. I need to be able to use a mounting plate, that is a deal breaker, along with the closeness of the cam to my face, I am far sighted.

It is a very nice little item though.

If I buy a merlin I would buy a vest eventually. Until then the device would be of limited usefullness. I am still reeling from the prospect of $1900 for a vest. My wife has given the OK, for when I can manage it, but wow, that is a lot of money for a freakin vest!
Old February 11th, 2009, 02:56 AM   #10
Major Player

And if I am not mistaken, it is highly recommended, that you follow a traing course. To ensure, that you will not strain your back . . .
Jo Ouwejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 07:13 AM   #11
Major Player

Yeah Jeff, you would probably just have to try that light, I don't know.
Old February 11th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #12
Trustee

When you say the Merlin is maxing out with the FX1000 and a 760 are you talking about the plastic or metal gimbal? It was my understanding that the plastic supports a max or 5lbs but the metal tops out at 7lbs, or is that only when using the arm and vest?

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 07:59 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
If I buy a merlin I would buy a vest eventually. Until then the device would be of limited usefullness. I am still reeling from the prospect of $1900 for a vest. My wife has given the OK, for when I can manage it, but wow, that is a lot of money for a freakin vest!
Well to be fair, most of the cost is the Arm and not the Vest. Have you ever strapped one on at a show or anywhere? It's really slick. I haven't bought one yet cause I'm cheap and can get the job done without one, but if I had the money and actually needed one to do the job it would be a no brainer.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #14
Major Player

No Ethan, I'm talking about being able to get the Merlin balanced correctly. I think the merlin is maxed out with the 1000 as far as getting it balanced. I have all the weights on it and the gimbal adjusted as far as it will go.
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #15
Trustee

But if you've got the metal gimbal and I'm reading their specs correctly then you may be able to buy an additional weight or two and get it to balance properly. Maybe...

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000