Suggestions for close up!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 16th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Suggestions for close up!!

Ok Z5-fx1000, great cameras BUT when I try to make close up to bride or grom,the camera gets very dark.

This never happen to me with my pd-170.

Do I miss something during my set up to my Z5?? any tips and tricks to this SITUATION??

Thanks Franklin
Franklin Bencosme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Inner Circle

are you zooming in or walking in and getting close?

If you're zooming and are on automatic mode the iris will close as the lens zooms in no matter which camera you use. Put the camera into manual mode and lock up the exposure. Just like the 170.

Don
Old February 16th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Franklin, even if in manual mode, when you do an extreme closeup, as I like to do, the iris closes up to 3.4 and there is nothing you can do about it. It stinks.

The phenomenon is called lens ramping or f-drop. The PD170 had it as well, but to a much less extent and it did not interfere with my extreme closeups.

I didn't know anything about it when I bought my Fx1000 and I too was shocked when trying for an extreme closeup.

Unfortunately the only real solution to our dilemma is to use a camera with 12x zoom down front, if that is where you are trying to get your closeup from, as I used to do.

Part of the problem is the cam starts out much wider so you you have to zoom in all the way for the extreme closeup, but by the time you have zoomed in as much as you need to the iris has gone to 3.4, and you cannot open it any further with manual adjustment.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

+6db

[QUOTE=Jeff Harper;1013048]Franklin, even if in manual mode, when you do an extreme closeup, as I like to do, the iris closes up to 3.4 and there is nothing you can do about it. It stinks.

Jeff, what about hitting say +6DB? i know this is not what u want by maybe worth a go
Martin Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Yes, pumping up the gain is the obvious thing but it isn't the same, as you say. I just don't go in as close and I don't worry about it.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #6
Regular Crew

oh oh,Houston we have a BIG PROBLEM,for weddings(including the roller S),this is serious !

Sometimes we need to sacrifice other god points!!!
Franklin Bencosme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Have you guys tried to lock the IRIS to 3.4 from your wide angle view before zooming?
If you do, it should stay at 3.4 thus keep the same exposure from wide to full telephoto.
Its the only way to do it or you just zoom it in, lower the shutter speed (or db boost) and record.
Jean Rousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 06:15 AM   #8
Inner Circle

3.4 is too little exposure. If we were going to shoot a wedding at 3.4 exposure in order to accommodate the lens ramping we would be better off with an FX1 or Z1.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000