Broken FX1000 clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:44 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Broken FX1000 clips

OK, this is the second time, and at least I know to re-download the footage.

The first time this happened, just as the priest was introducing the bride and groom the clip ended, and the action picked up on the next clip, even though I never turned off the camera. I didn't know what happened when editing.

But problem appeared again this evening as the couple in this video was being introduced by the DJ for first dance, clip ended, and action picked back up on next clip, even though the cam was running continuously.

I'm re-downloading this second tape and it seems fine now, but I'll reserve judgement till it's fully captured.

Anyone know what causes this?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You're sure Scene detect or Scene split is turned off? This is only after capture? It plays fine straight from the cam? And nothing is missing? Can you just join the clips and have it play seamlessly?
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:59 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm sure scene detect is turned on, which I want, I think. Its how I've always downloaded in the past.

I just finished re-downloading the clip that was broken and this time it was fine.

I'm going to try turning off setting for fast recording, or whatever that feature is called that allows fast startup when you hit the record button, in case that has anything to do with it.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Q.REC only affects the start of shots and wouldn't have anything to do with a single clip being split. Sounds like Scene Detect is splitting scenes where it shouldn't. There may be a way to adjust the sensitivity, or if not you may just have to turn it off. I never use scene detect but couldn't anyway if I wanted to, as Premiere won't do Scene Detect with HDV unless you have Cineform installed.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:07 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks for your feedback, Adam. I really like scene detect, but I cannot imagine going through the busy season wondering what is and what isn't downloading properly.

But what a nightmare for multicam editing, I can't imagine having to search through clips and then match them up...uggg.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:16 PM   #6
Inner Circle

You would never use scene detect for multicam -- you want one long take. With four cameras you only match them up once at the beginning of each clip -- four clips total. It's a breeze if you don't have a dropout anywhere.

For sports, where I have a lot of short clips, I manually mark the ins and outs and then batch capture. So I never have a time when scene detect would work for me.

How does scene detect keep you from worrying about what's capturing? If it were me (in Premiere) I'd capture the whole tape and then make subclips.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:21 PM   #7
Inner Circle

The worry comes from wondering if when capturing a ceremony, which is shot in one continuous clip, that it becomes split or broken where it shouldn't, as it has on me twice.

If I turned off scene detection feature then there would be no breaks of any kind anywhere.

The thing is some wedding can consist of up to 12 hours of footage. I can't imagine having to sort through, etc and make subclips, etc.

With the indidvidual clips done with scene detection, I find the shots of about the same length from the different cams and it is a breezed to match them up.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:30 PM   #8
Inner Circle

You can tell I don't do weddings.... I'm still having a little trouble figuring out your exact workflow. But you might want to consider capturing without scene detect and see if the problem goes away, or if it's something else.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:35 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I worded something wrong, or something, but I know what you mean...and I've clarified in my previous post what I meant.
Old March 24th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I'm sure scene detect is turned on, which I want, I think. Its how I've always downloaded in the past.

I just finished re-downloading the clip that was broken and this time it was fine.

I'm going to try turning off setting for fast recording, or whatever that feature is called that allows fast startup when you hit the record button, in case that has anything to do with it.
Jeff, if you re-downloaded the clip and it came out fine the 2nd time, your camera setting had nothing to do with it. If the setting broke the clip, it would have been broken the 1st, 2nd and 3rd time.

I'll bet it was the editing software during the capture process.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
The worry comes from wondering if when capturing a ceremony, which is shot in one continuous clip, that it becomes split or broken where it shouldn't, as it has on me twice.
I'm assuming your HD is NTFS and not FAT32. If you have a long clip and are using the older file system, you will run in to problems with long clips. Again, this is a computer issue as opposed to a camera setting issue.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I don't know what it was at this point. It could be Vegas, or it could be auto scene detect, or something else.

The first wedding it happened on it will not download correctly despite repeated attempts. I'm guessing it is a camera issue, as it seems in the first incident the clip is "broken" on the tape.
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #13
Major Player

In that case, you should be able to see the break when playing the tape over tv. I do not think it is Vegas. I use it myself and I never saw that happen. Are you sure your HD is NTFS formatted? Sorry, this has been asked before, but I see no response on that.
FAT32 disks break at 2GB file size.
Jo Ouwejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Yes, my discs are NTFS Jo. I haven't played it on the TV yet, good idea. Actually, just playing it back and watching it on the LCD should be the same.

The incident in question happened during my first shoot with the camera, has never before happened in Vegas, so I tend to think it is the camera. I will play it back when I return to the studio and see what is what. Thanks Jo.
Old April 12th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I am editing another wedding that was shot on FX1000 and I'm having a slew of audio dropouts. This was shot SD 4:3.

I am beginning to feel certain the original issue I posted about was due to a camera malfunction.

At this point sending it to Sony is likely the only thing to do.

As stated before I use only new tapes and the same kind always. This is not a happy finding.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000