30fps and Weddings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 8th, 2009, 07:41 AM   #1
Inner Circle

30fps and Weddings

I'm thinking of trying out 30fps for a wedding I have coming up, as an experiment, and wanted to know, from those that have used it how it works out for you at weddings.

Tim, I believe you use it regularly. Do you have to adjust your shooting technique?

How does it work out for scenes with lots of movement, such as bouquet toss, dancing, etc?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Don't know but for sure it is not in Blu-ray spec so you will have to convert it later if you plan to do BD.
Old April 8th, 2009, 08:32 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thank you Khoi. This wedding will likely not be going to BR, but that is an important piece of info for the future.
Old April 8th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi, Jeff . . .

I'm shooting with the Z7U, which is almost identical to the Z5U. The 30p frame rate is fantastic for my projects.

I used to shoot most everything 60i. Now I'm shooting almost everything using the native 30p (not 30p scan mode) frame rate. I've used it for many weddings and other events that have some rapid movement -- and this poses no problems. If , however, you decide to shoot 24p, you will likely have issues with video that is far too "studdery" in many cases with movement.

30p, for me, gives a project a natural look while at the same time giving it a filmic feel.

I've had no problem outputting 30p projects to both DVD and Blu-ray disc. I'm editing in Vegas 8c and authoring using DVD Architect 5a.

If you are new to the camera, you might check out the Z7U training DVD (also marketed I see for the Z5U, since most settings and features are identical) from Doug Jensen at Vortex Media - www. vortexmedia.com. His DVD is fantastic and he really does a great job of showing what shooting at different frame rates will look like. He's a good shooter, so it will also show you how capable the camera is.

Have a great shoot. Let us know if you shoot 30p and how you liked the result.

Ian
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Major Player

Use it all the time when I had my canon. Just be careful when panning across with no movement. You just have to pan a little slower than you would with 60i to reduce the judder. If your following someone or something then no problem. If you ever go to Bluray just render your 30P out to 60i and your good to go. Just be warned once you shoot 30P you will not be to fond with 60i afterwards. I still use 60i when I have to but 30P most of the time.

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks guys. I'm excited to try it out, it sounds very promising.

Tim A had touted the "niceness" of the 30p and I just didn't want to think about it for awhile as I had too much on my plate. I had tried 24p but it was too stuttery for my taste, but 30p as Tim described it sounded very nice.
Old April 8th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #7
Major Player

Jeff, no problems here, you will love it and I see you using 30p from now on. The only thing you will have to watch is super slo-mo. 50% is ok, but under that and it starts to stutter. I have also used 30 shutter speed with 30p at receptions with no problems with the fast dancing.
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #8
Inner Circle

That's good to hear Tim, thanks.

We had the conversation about dealing with pulldown removal before, but I've forgotten it all. Tell me how are you doing it? Or are you editing the footage as is?

Last edited by Jeff Harper; April 8th, 2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Major Player

No puldown removal with 30p, that's 24p. Just make sure the project properties are set to 30 progressive.
Old April 8th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Excellent news! Thanks, Tim.
Old April 8th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #11
New Boot

Forgive me guys for jumping in right at the end here, but with a FX7 do i have an option of adjusting frame rate? What is the purpose of reducing the frame rate from 60 to 30??

Just trying to learn and understand.
Greg Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #12
Major Player

You are not reducing frame rate, 60i is 60 fields per second (interlaced), in 1 frame you have 2 fields, so it is 30 frame per second, 30P is progressive, has no field, still 30 frame per second.
Old April 8th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #13
Major Player

Jeff, here's a link to the highlight video from my daughters wedding. It was shot in 30p. It should give you some idea about the slow motion. All the reception shots were shot with shutter speed at 30 everything else at 60.

I set a password so our daughter can't see it, she has to watch it with us when she comes home Thursday.

password: avp1

This is a password protected video on Vimeo
Old April 8th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Akin View Post
Jeff, here's a link to the highlight video from my daughters wedding. [/url]
So you were the one taping her wedding? It came out nice. But I think if it were me, I'd rather let someone else do it, so I could be a part of the day, and not stuck behind a viewfinder.
D.R. Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Very nice Tim, very smooth, but I see what you mean about the slow motion, tad rough.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000