Gain - Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 2nd, 2009, 04:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Gain - Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free

Hi Guys,

Ok so I have a Sony HVR-Z5P. Ive shot some stuff lately and havebeen getting used to the camera. I cant get rid of this grain on my images!!! I am capturing mpeg2 off the camera HDV footage.

Is there a way to get rid off the grain? I am not to familiar with the setting of the camera yet but i just read in another post.....(see below comment)

"Go into camera settings in the AGC setting and limit your gain to 12d"

does the above work? I am just a little disappointed with the quality off the camera thus far. I know its not the camera but my settings. Do you guys have any tips to help me out?

thanks all my DV info friends
Jason Selmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 07:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

1. Turn off AGC
2. Manually set gain to 0
3. Add light to get proper exposure

Voila! No grain.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:49 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Did you try AGC Limit? It works flawlessly. Any gain below 12dB is virtually grain-less.

Of course, if you can afford to shoot without any gain at all, manual gain at 0 is the best way and the only way to assure you are completely grain-free.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 02:45 PM   #4
Trustee

Jason I set gain to 12db (as Adam says) and never have any grain since. Beautiful pictures!!!

Stelios
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
Did you try AGC Limit? It works flawlessly. Any gain below 12dB is virtually grain-less.

Of course, if you can afford to shoot without any gain at all, manual gain at 0 is the best way and the only way to assure you are completely grain-free.
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replys. Yes i just changed it yesterday afternoon but havent shot any footage yet.

If you look at my glidetrack test you can see the grain. Dam near annoying for a PAL camera that cost me $6,500 aussie dollars.. lol...

When i get home i will double check the AGC limit but im 100% sure i changed it yesterday to 12db
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
Jason I set gain to 12db (as Adam says) and never have any grain since. Beautiful pictures!!!

Stelios
Brillaint. I expect some grain but i was filming a seminar 2 weeks ago in well lit confrenernce room on auto and still got grain....

check out this video of my glidetrack. Even vimeo is showing some grain even with effects. This was only a test of the glidetrack... very excited to use it this weekend

Old December 3rd, 2009, 04:21 PM   #7
Regular Crew

all cams have grain. what I see in your video looks standard camcorder to me. If you're really picky about grain like I am, then you will set your gain level to -6 at all times. Gain at 0db is still too grainy for my taste.
Ron Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 04:48 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Ron,

thanks for the advice. I set my AGC or whatever it is on the camera to 12db and shot some footage last night with it. I think the results were awesome and alot better than what i was getting before.

It was 7:00pm at night and its daylight savings here I had ok light and got good results.

im pretty happy at the moment... Lets see how we go for the wedding i have tomorow
Jason Selmes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000