Replacement batteries for Sony HVR-Z5U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:50 AM   #1
New Boot

Replacement batteries for Sony HVR-Z5U

I just got my new Sony Z5U, and was very disappointed to find out that my trusted Impact NP-F970 batteries, that I have used for a couple of years on my Sony VX 2100, are not working with the Z5U. I got the same result with the Ikan NP-F970 batteries. The camera accepted the Lenmar battery, but the charger that comes with the camera didn’t recognize it.
I know the easiest way to solve the problem is to buy Sony batteries, and I’m ready to do that if that is the only option. I’m just curious – has anybody successfully used Sony battery replacement brands on Z5U?
Joseph Plekhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:31 PM   #2
Major Player

I have a FX1000 and I am using the batteries I had for the VX2000. On imitation batteries I can only repeat what I read about it. I have read, that even Sony batteries from a respected US source were rejected, as those lacked a piece of electronics, that identifies a battery as a full Sony one.
Hear say, I know, but take it for what it is.
Jo Ouwejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Plekhov View Post
I know the easiest way to solve the problem is to buy Sony batteries, and I’m ready to do that if that is the only option. I’m just curious – has anybody successfully used Sony battery replacement brands on Z5U?
I bought a supposedly genuine Sony 970 battery from an overseas Ebayer, which turned out to be counterfeit (I suspected as such) - the batteries don't hold their charge and are essentially useless.

I also bought an unbranded 970 battery from a UK Ebayer, and that works ok, albeit without the more sophisticated cam<->battery communication (ie, the charger doesn't let you know it's progress as it does with the genuine batteries). The camera does display remaining battery time ok.

However, at £22 versus £150, I can live with that! ;)
Ben Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:49 PM   #4
Trustee

Sony HVR-Z5 = Nearly $5000,00
Sony NP-F970 = $97,23

Come on guys! You have invested so much money on this camera and the least you can do is buy a descent battery for it.

Stelios
Old May 2nd, 2009, 05:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

My original budget for a replacement camera was £1500. I stretched that to £2500 for an FX1000. Then stretched that to getting on for £4000 for the Z5.

There's only so much money we have - yes, of course I'll need to, in time, get a case, get a decent video tripod, get wireless mic systems, lighting and so on - but we are not in a position at this stage to do it all at once, as it would add yet another £1000+.

So yes, stretching to the Z5 was about as far as we could go. I don't regret it one bit, it's a fantastic camera, and absolutely the right choice. Once the camera has started working for us financially, then we will absolutely expand. You have to start somewhere, and we don't have magical money trees growing nearby, unfortunately...

In the meantime, some unbranded batteries are doing the job.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:11 AM   #6
Trustee

Ben, you are right what you are saying because it applied to me when I made the decision to buy the Z5, but look at it also this way, it's like buying a Mercedes and run it with a diluted gasoline...

Stelios
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:20 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Absolutely agree, and I always do get genuine batteries, and when budget allows for it, I will get some.

I just had a full day of shooting and the unbranded battery performed well, if a tad erratic in remaining time when it was getting low.

There is no question that the cheap batteries are not as good as the genuine Sony batts.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:27 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Ben

I have found the DSM batteries from Keene electronic to be as good as Sony ones though they appear to have gone up in recent months as I bought 2 in December for £150 but they do have the Sony chip which gives full info.

Take a look here:
Keene Electronics: Sony 7.2v
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:46 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hummmm !!! I use original sony, power 2000, and impact brands,never had a problem !!!
Franklin Bencosme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Burton View Post
I have found the DSM batteries from Keene electronic to be as good as Sony ones though they appear to have gone up in recent months as I bought 2 in December for £150 but they do have the Sony chip which gives full info.
I think *everything* has gone up to us UK people - I was very lucky to source a Z5 before the Sony price increases.

Re the batteries - when charging, does the charger show the same info as the genuine Sony batteries regarding remaining charge time, or does it just effectively say "Charging" like my other unbranded battery..?
Ben Hall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000