Z5U sample video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 15th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Z5U sample video

I have posted a test video from my Z5U on Vimeo. It was shot with autofocus and autoexposure, but I did test the contrast setting (CNTRST ENHCR) which is supposed to preserve detail in shadows under high contrast situations. It was a windy day, and I did shoot some of the shots from a wood deck overhanging the water. The deck shook, so I had the steadyshot turned on, but didn't realize that it was set to "hard" which was definitely the wrong setting for the conditions.
I just submitted it to Vimeo, and I am disappointed in their encode; however, you can download my 1280x720, 169MB file, for a short time according to Vimeo (see the bottom of the page). I had to convert it to 720p for them, but they obviously degraded it further when they converted it for their site. When viewed, it is jerky and has a lot of artifacts.
They offer a pay service now with "higher quality video", which was previously free. My other posting called "Bugs Rule" was submitted before the pay service started, it looks much better. Here is the link for my video from Mill Creek MetroPark:

Mill Creek MetroPark - my first Z5U video on Vimeo
Robert Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 04:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Petersen View Post
I just submitted it to Vimeo, and I am disappointed in their encode
Robert,

FWIW I have started using:

MotionBox

instead of Vimeo for this reason. Like Vimeo, you can get a free account and see for yourself if you like it better. SmugMug, which isn't free, also seems to do a better job than Vimeo. I would expect Vimeo will respond with better encoding for free accounts, so I'm still keeping it.
Bill Ackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Bill,
Do you have a tag on your video so I can find it and check it out? Thanks!
Robert Petersen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000