DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   What camera to match FX1000? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/264014-what-camera-match-fx1000.html)

Lukas Siewior August 10th, 2009 07:33 PM

What camera to match FX1000?

I'm thinking about next purchase for my business for next wedding season. I'd love to upgrade my 2nd camera with something similar to FX1000. Something easy to match in post. Compatible with HDV format. Decent in low-light (2nd cam has always on-camera light, so darkness is not a big issue here). What would be your suggestions (other then another FX1000 or Z5)?

Mel Enriquez August 11th, 2009 07:33 AM

xr-500

Lukas,

Are you amenable to a small camera like the HC9 Sony matches well with Sony cameras? However, if you are willing to adjust a bit in post, I would recommend the Canon HV-30 or the HV-40. It is very good in low light, cheap at U$800 and HDV. It might even put to shame your FX-1000 in low light!

Otherwise, only another FX-1000 would suit you. I can't see the FX-7 to be good in low light and may cause you to be unhappy.

If you loosen your specs a bit, you can opt for an avchd camcorder. The XRs are in the U$1,400, small and is very good for what it does. Very good in low light and it's a Sony and easier to match to your FX. In particular the xr-500 is getting good press.

There are other cameras coming out this fall, but I am not going to speculate on them. Their specs seem good but until they are out and some reviews or user feedback are posted, best to stick with what is proven or known.

Lukas Siewior August 11th, 2009 07:46 AM

Thanks Mel. I was thinking about Canon's cameras. Everyone likes them for what they can do in such a small package. Plus I could use small camera for my other vids, where the big FX is simply too big.

Jeff Harper August 11th, 2009 08:15 AM

Luke, you give us no price range, but it doesn't matter because your options are quite limited anyway.

Regarding the HV30, I use a Canon HV-30 as a backup with wireless, and it is not close to the FX1000 in low light. It matches the Sony quite well under the right circumstances, but as the light drops the image deteriorates.

If you don't want a FX1000 because of the price, then you should look for a used FX1 or Z1. Unfortunately the prices on used Z1's are still too high IMO, but that would be my first choice because of the pro audio connectors.

I see the HV30 to be a backup or third camera. The FX7 would be an option, but for a similar price you could get the FX1, which is better in low light and has 1/3" chips. The chips in the FX7 are 1/4".

Choices as I see them:

Best: FX1000/Z5
Second Best: FX1 or Z1
Third Best: FX7
Fourth Best: Canon HV-30

Adam Gold August 11th, 2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1208706)
If you don't want a FX1000 because of the price, then you should look for a used FX1 or Z1.

Jeff''s right; I was going to say the same thing. The problem with the FX1 is that it's much softer and more cinema-like than the FX1000 -- I don't think it's a good match.

The FX7 is the best match in good light, but it can't come close to the low-light of the FX1000. But if price is the issue then your options are very limited. While many people (including Jeff) just hate the low-light performance of the FX7 I think it's actually decent -- at least it has been for me (but then I shoot much different stuff than Jeff does). As both the FX7 and FX1000 are CMOS-based (although different sizes) I find they match the best. A used FX1 or a new FX7 should be about the same price -- in the $2K range.

Lukas Siewior August 11th, 2009 12:25 PM

Wow. Great suggestions guys. Thx a lot. But what about V1 model??? What's wrong with it? As far as I remember it CMOS-based too.

Adam Gold August 11th, 2009 12:47 PM

Nothing wrong with it at all -- it's a pro FX7. Same camera, with a few more bells and whistles via firmware and an external XLR box. But if you can afford one then you should get another FX1000 -- they're in the same price range. For the price of a V1 ($3350) you can buy an FX1000 ($3200) and an XLR adapter from BeachTek or JuicedLink. You'd have many of the same features as the V1 (the FX1000 is the first prosumer level cam to include things like Black Stretch and other formerly Pro features found only on cams like the V1 and Z1, at least from Sony) and you'd have the bigger chips.

When I bought my FX1000 I just bit the bullet and bought two, because I knew I'd have this matching issue.

Other random notes: Canons are great too, but they really won't match. They've been tweaked differently and make very different pictures than Sonys. Not bad, just different. And if you think the FX1000 is big, wait till you get a look at the FX1/Z1 -- they're huge by comparison.

Lukas Siewior August 11th, 2009 01:28 PM

I'm defenately focusing on used units. If I had money for new one I'd buy FX1000 without a doubt.

The FX1 seems like the most atractive in my situation. A friend of mine has one so I'll be able to play with it before the final decision.

Thx again guys :-)

Adam Gold August 11th, 2009 01:34 PM

Shameless plug: If you're interested in a used FX1 I still have two of mine for sale. Details here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/private-c...condition.html

Jeff Harper August 11th, 2009 02:24 PM

Actually Adam is correct, the FX7 would be a better match in low light, and the FX1 is softer, making both problematic. I have to admit that in many situations the FX7 would be a better match.

For the ceremony only the FX7 would be better if the lighting is good, and I would probably use it down front, with the FX1000 in the rear. The FX7 is sharper from a shorter distance than would be for a long shot. The FX1000 also has a wider shot, giving you a nice wide shot from the rear as well.

Having not used an FX1 I forgot that it is soft, (I've played with a friend's camera a few times) and it would be a tough match, but you could do a lot worse.

In the end Lukas, you should try and save up for the FX1000. It may seem impossible now, but consider setting up a savings account for you new camera. Put money in it, never take it out, and before you know it you'll have your new FX1000. You don't even need the camera till next spring, so be patient and wait till you can afford what you really need would be my recommendation.

Lukas Siewior August 11th, 2009 02:56 PM

You right Jeff. I don't need camera for another 6 mths. That's plenty of time to make a wise decision on a purchase :-)

Stelios Christofides August 11th, 2009 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1209821)
...Put money in it, never take it out, and before you know it you'll have your new FX1000...

and you never know, you might save enough for a Z5.

Stelios

Martyn Hull August 13th, 2009 02:45 AM

Got to pipe in here and say my HV30 is better than my FX7 in good and low light, the fact my FX7 is hardly ever used now says it all.

Jeff Harper August 13th, 2009 04:57 AM

You know Martyn, I haven't used the FX7 for so long, I could have well been mistaken when I said the FX7 is better in low light. I have not compared them side by side. I have been somewhat surprised at times with the HV30, that is for sure.

Ed Sharpe August 18th, 2009 10:58 PM

but the 1000 is just a little one in a big skin.

Wait... ther HD1000 Sony is just a small cam repackaged... for a less price.. find the model of the small cam the 1000 was based on and sensor and color will match.