Panning Issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old August 25th, 2009, 01:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Panning Issues

Hi. I purchased a Z5E a few months ago. Very happy with the quality of picture, but there is one issue that I can't seem to resolve. Every time I pan (slowly), the image gets blurred and out of focus. Is there something that I am doing wrong - perhaps a wrong setting?

As a general rule of thumb, is it best to adopt the approach of not panning? Recently we took some footage of scenes in Bristol. We did a panning shot to cover various parts of the city - the same problem as described above has occured. Any advice would be much appreciated!
James Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 02:43 AM   #2
Regular Crew

try turning off the automatic stabilizatoin or manual focus, or/and make sure your shutter speed isn't too slow.
Ron Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #3
Trustee

Are you shooting interlaced footage and then converting it to progressive when you edit/encode it? If you convert interlace to progressive footage or vice versa, it will cause bluring on your pan shots.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 04:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

James
Like Ron said, if the steadyshot is ON and you're panning while the camera is on a tripod, you'll get the results you mention. I'd like the default setting to be off as it has jammed me up more than once.
Attached Images

Barron Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi. Thank you all for your advice. Will try it and see what happens. Thanks again.
James Curran is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000