Can I Adjust Video Gain AGC Sensitivity - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old October 23rd, 2009, 05:30 PM   #16
Major Player

Tim/Tom,

Great idea. Sounds like I'm dense but I never thought of using it that way. Like Tim said, it's like getting 5 buttons. Learn something new everyday
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:28 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post
Just shoot in manual and call it a day. There is no other way to adjust the gain unless you manually change the AGC limit.
Amen. Same with focus. I know I sound like a snob when I say it, but if you want to be a professional and use professional equipment, act like a professional and learn to be smarter than the camera by using full manual.
Old November 7th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I believe that the important thing in run-and-gun shooting is learning where running in full auto will work and where it will not, which comes with time and experience with the camera.

I like to avoid, when possible, recording while changing settings dramtically on the camera. There are times when I have had to quickly change directions that I was pointing the camera to catch an important spontaneous moment which required a whole different range of settings because of lighting or whatever, and in those instances I instantly switch to auto for a starting point.

Ineveitably, shooters I have hired that refuse to run in anything but manual ALWAYS have much footage that will not come close to matching the quality of other cameras running mostly in full auto. There are times when it is NOT advisable to run in manual, I have learned.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #19
Major Player

You're right Jeff but it has to be controlled and you need to have a good idea of what switching to auto is going to give you. As you said, it comes from experience with the camera. It sounds backward but shooting in manual is the only way you'll learn to shoot correctly in auto.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000