Z5 Captures issues - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 7th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
If it's squished, it's 16:9 made to fit the 4:3 frame. No problem; you can easily un-squish it.
Adam here is a picture off the footage loaded up in KM player and not resized. you can see the pixelation and it this 4:3?

Now it seems when i screen capture the video wont show up on the km player for illustration purposes. Well but looking at the photo you canget the idea that it looks like 4:3?
Attached Thumbnails
Z5 Captures issues-footage.jpg  

Last edited by Jason Selmes; December 7th, 2009 at 08:31 PM.
Jason Selmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #17
Regular Crew

ok here is a better look at the capture screen... to me it looks like 4:3. Even when I down convert my footage to DV from HDV its still looke like 4:3...

My project is PAL DV 25 fps 16:9. Once the DV footage is captured it looks pretty ordinary when viewing through my player!!!

any hints on what to do?
Attached Thumbnails
Z5 Captures issues-img_2360.jpg  
Old December 7th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Yeah, it looks like 4:3 to me too, but from that angle and without having your tapes in my hands, I can't really tell. Looks like you're using Premiere, so just select a clip in the Project Panel and look up; it'll say what the pixel dimensions and Pixel Aspect Ratio are.

Of course it looks bad on a PC screen; PC screens aren't meant to display interlaced footage. The horizontal lines are interlacing and your PC Monitor can't display this properly. Look at it on an HDTV.

Both DV and HDV are about 13 Gigs per hour.
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #19
Regular Crew

thanks Adam,

I just hooked it up to my HD TV... the footage isnt to bad pretty good actually. I changed my video out settings to squeeze, edge crop, and letterbox..... all looked pretty good. Letterbox did have a little flickering at the top and bottom where it meets the letterbox.

So if my camera can video out to my HDTV then how do i capture the 16:9. Yes i am using premiere pro cs4.

hmmmm

maybe a test burn to dvd to check the footage might be needed.....
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I would just capture normally with no downconverting. Set up a DV 16:9 project and import the HDV stuff into it and use the "Interpret Footage" (not sure about this, might work) or just scale the HDV stuff to fit.
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Adam you are a ture champ and thanks for being patient.

This is what ive done so far.

1. Captured all HDV footage(that i filmed, approx 6 hours) from my Z5P
2. Started capturing the DV footage from the Z7 camera that the other camerman was using(approx 5 hours)

Now the problem is when i shift the camera settings on the Z5 to HDV then Premiere Pro says that the camera is offline so i cant capture using HDV seting for DV footage.

Now when i flick the settings to DV and open a PAL DV 16:9 project the capture format looks like its 4:3. The thing with that is my other HDV footage that im going to use is 16:9.

Its kinda weird that i can view it in widescreen and its looks good but then throw it on the computer and it sucks badly.

Ok this is what im going to do....

1. down Convert all my HDV footage that i took from my Z5 to DV 16:9
2. Create a new PAL project 16:9
3. Import some of the DV footage that the other cameraman took with his Z7
4. Render a small part of footage to test for qaulity

What would be a good render format to test my 16:9 PAL project with the DV footage that the other camerman took?

I just want to test it all before going ahead with the final editing as i dont want to do all this work to find out that it was all for nothing because the footage wasnt captured correctly OR in the right format or aspect ratio..

cheers adam, i might owe ya a beer one day when im back in the USA
Old December 8th, 2009, 01:23 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Your plan sounds good. Don't worry about the footage looking squeezed while editing... it should render okay. But your test plan is a good idea.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000