More drop-outs than I expected, your thoughts? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Major Player

More drop-outs than I expected, your thoughts?

After reviewing a bunch of footage I shot recently, I got a lot more drop outs than I was expecting with my new Z5. I'm using JVC mini-DV's which I've been using more or less exclusively for the last 6 years or so with mini-DV cams (that's why I stuck with them vs using Sony tapes). I also used some panasonic mini DV's that I had to purchase while on the road for this last shoot. I shot 30P with the Z5. Wierd thing is in some places where the drop-outs occur, if I eject and re-load the tape, it plays the dropped section fine. I'm fairly new to HDV, so go easy on me. Curiously, footage shot with my Canon HV30 does not seem to have produced any drop-outs (same batch of JVC mini DVs). I shot 60i with the Canon. Obviously my solution is to go with maybe Sony tapes, or HDV tapes, but I wanted to hear your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,
Old January 2nd, 2010, 11:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

1) New cams sometimes suffer more from dropouts until the heads get burnished, or so they say. There may also be manufacturing dust or gunk still on them. Could explain the non-repeating dropouts.

2) If you switched tape brands without a cleaning in between, the brands might use different lubricants and could help cause this. Or so they say.

3) I haven't used either JVC or Panny tapes, but I've read about a lot of problems with them. Anecdotally. Or so they say.

I haven't ever used anything other than a Sony tape in about five years. But I just put four new Z5s into service last month and had a lot more dropouts than usual, which I attribute to #1, above, and was expecting.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Major Player

With me it worked just the other way around. With my previous cam a HV20, I used to suffer quite regular drop outs, while they have never showed with my FX1000. I use Sony Premiums on both cams.
Jo Ouwejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Major Player

I've used Panasonic tapes for the past 5 years. Until the past year I was strictly using the AMQ series but due to my using the MRC-1 as a backup, I tried using the cheaper PQ tapes. I have had 2 tiny dropouts over the few years of use with the AMQ tapes. I haven't seen anything with the PQ tapes, but to be fair, I don't view the tapes very much anymore since I use the MRC-1. That solid state is so sweet when loading in the footage. Five minutes start to finish.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #5
Major Player

Adam,

You may have something when you suggest new cams sometimes have drop-outs. I noticed on my later tapes there have been NO drop-outs whatsoever. It's also possible Sony tested it with their tape ...and cleaned the heads prior to shipping, then I come along and stick in JVC/Panasonic tapes. Who knows. Anyway, all seems good, now. Thanks

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000