Need suggestions on which HD camera to buy - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 7th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Bill, it is not necessary to deal with any dealers other than media resellers in the U.S. You can avoid all kinds of issues this way....stick with the Sony Premiums and you'll be fine.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #17
Major Player

Bill. I have a Canon HXA1 and HV30 and I have been using Sony Premium for the last 2 years without any problems.
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #18
Major Player

Bill,

Sounds like you made a good decision. Pretty good buy, too on the FX.
Old January 8th, 2010, 06:23 AM   #19
Major Player

Been using these Sony tapes for quite a while for around $2.20 a tape without issue. Used to use $13 HD premiums, but can't tell a difference and haven't had a single issue thus far.

Sony | DVM-60PR Premium Mini DV Cassette (60 Minute) | DVM60PRR

I understand some tapes use dry lubricant and some wet so it may be a good idea to choose one brand.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Virtually all mini-dv tapes use dry lubricant...I believe some higher end Panasonic tapes use wet, and let me tell you, you do NOT want to mix those tapes with the dry...I did that and had some real issues. It is possible the higher end Sony use wet, but I do not know for sure.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Good afternoon,

Jeff and the guys are right, regular sony tapes or other brands are fine. I have been using sony tapes in my xlh1 for a year and have not had a single problem. Buy them in bulk at B&H for something like 2.79 a tape!!!! I buy them 50 at a time.

Back to the camera issue. I have learned to do lots of research before buying!!! I just purchased the sony fx 1000 for B roll and run and gun video the xlh1 is not so conducive too.

In HD focus is everything in my book!! Most three chip cameras make good color and can be corrected in post to exactly what one wants.

there were some contenders but the native chips, high resolution view finder and LCD were the clencher. I did not get the z5 because it was a grand for two xlr inputs. If you need that get a beach tec for 1/5 th the cost.

A few of the other cameras might do you but from what i have read and researched the fx 1000 is about the best bang for the buck right now.

While I have four Canons I have always felt the auto focus on sonys is a tad better (sometimes you need the auto focus and fast and accuarte is essential).

for 2999 at B&H it would be worth waiting and spending the couple hundred above your budget of 2,800.
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Not to belabor this, but:

A) The regular Sony Premiums are fine, and can be had for $2.05 each in lots of 100 at a reputable online tape vendor.
B) The absolute best bang for the buck in Sony Pro/Prosumer cams is the FX7 if you don't care about low light at all. If low light is an issue, then I agree the FX1000 is the best value for what you get versus cost.
C) Having owned both and just having traded in my FX1000s for Z5s, I can tell you there are many differences besides the XLR inputs, but they may not be relevant to you. If the only difference of any significance for you is indeed the XLRs, then it does make sense to buy the FX1000 and get a BeachTek or JuicedLink box rather than pay extra for the Z5. But for me, other issues included the seamless (physical and firmware) integration of the MRC1k Recording Unit, the ability to jam-sync timecode from multiple cams, the many extra image adjustments possible via firmware, and the fact that the Z5 includes a decent if not spectacular shotgun mic, which would need to be added to your budget if you buy the FX1000.
D) Right now B&H has some great used HDV cams, including an FX1 and a Z1, though not FX1000s or Z5s...

Used Pro & Prosumer Camcorders

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Adam Gold; January 8th, 2010 at 10:52 PM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #23
Major Player

I agree with the above assessment of differences between the FX1000 and Z5. By the time you add a beachteck, mic you're at the price of a Z5. Then you got the clumsy beachteck hanging on your cam. Note: The Z5 mic is compact and pretty good, but I didn't find that it had as much 'punch' as my Sennheiser ME64. I swapped out for the sennheiser. Of course, that's a more expensive mic.
Old January 9th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #24
Regular Crew

While I've seen some of the footage shot on dSLRs, I would think twice before going that route as your prime "video" cam. Yes, I've shot video on a dSLR. Results were gorgeous. My buddy shot a small feature on nothing but a Canon 5D MkII. On-line, it was as luscious as I've seen anywhere.

Still, dSLRs simply aren't made for shooting video. Ergonomics are screwy, control is minimal, and, of course, sound input is amateurish. The argument I hear is that if you add rails and matte box, a special viewfinder, Beachtek or similar, and steadicam set up, you're on to something. Then, of course, you've spent what could get you a nice EX-1.

I like the FX1000 you're considering. Also, with so many folks seeming to be getting rid of the Canon XH A1, they're a great deal these days -- probably the best deal going overall.

Consider this: With hard and solid state drive units showing up (I really like the Focus FS-5 or whatever the Canon equivalent is), the HDV (tape) format still has a lot of life yet.

Good luck

Dave
Dave Burckhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Dave's post is awesome, lots of facts. if you have to buy mics then he is dead right!!! A decent mic will cost the difference. Most people do not need all the z5 assets. One needs to look realisticly at what you do!!!

for me, I would have gone to an xha1 in a heart beat if it had a higher res view finder!! I love the adjustments it gives you, same as xlh1 if I recall!! same ccd's. great camera for most things. for myself the way i use it most of the time I need the higher res view finder (I even put a fu 1000 on the xlh1) Were I not filming action stuff all the time an xha1a would have been grand. I think that is actually good advice.

Let us know what you do!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000