Viewfinder not working on Z5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 7th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #1
New Boot

Viewfinder not working on Z5

I've just got my Z5 out after using another camera for a month and the electronic viewfinder isn't working. I've checked all the settings and reset the camera but still no joy. Everything else works fine and it was working when I put it away. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks, Paul
Paul Zetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Did you open the LCD at the same time? Because I know, that in the basic settings, the viewfinder does not show the image, when the LCD is open. You can change that in the settings to show an image on the VF as well.
Jo Ouwejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:26 AM   #3
Trustee

well i was just thinking what jo wrote when i read your post.....

don't be shy....
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #4
New Boot

VF powermode

Yes, if you set this to 'auto' the viewfinder won't be on when you open the lcd but if you set it to 'on' it's always on no matter about the lc being open or not and unfortunately this is the setting it's on in my camera but thanks for the replies. any more ideas? thank you Paul
Old January 9th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #5
Major Player

If the viewfinder won't work either close or open LCD, then you have a bad viewfinder or broken ribbon cable.
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #6
New Boot

Ribbon cable

Can you explain what this is? Does it break from impact or wear? thanks, Paul
Old January 10th, 2010, 03:11 AM   #7
Major Player

Possible manufacturing defect. Cold solder or loose connection, who knows. If it's new you can just exchange it or send it to service.
Old January 10th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #8
Major Player

Does the LCD always stay on, even when closed, or does it shut off? There is a switch inside the case that engages the LCD and turns off the viewfinder. That could be faulty as well.
Old January 12th, 2010, 04:01 AM   #9
New Boot

Switch

Yes, I've just noticed the LCD switch on the recessed inner (closest) inside edge to the handle but it appears to be working i.e. the LCD switches off when closed. Thanks for the lead though. Paul
Old January 12th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #10
Major Player

You've probably already done this, but try toggling the VF setting to 'Off', turn off the unit, then lturn it 'On' again in the menu settings. Very unlikely to make a difference, but...

Otherwise, probably going to have to take it to a Sony service center. If you are coming to the US, you could call/send it to Full Compass.com.

If you have decent electronic/mechanical skills you may consider taking it apart to a certain point to see if you find anything obvious. Get ahold of a service manual or CD (Ebay?) . Chances are high that a cable has become unplugged or a bad solder joint. I took my HV30 apart in order to do the LCD hack. There was a lot to do, but the parts/pieces are mostly modular and definitely do-able. Take lots of pictures. It's not that tough. Then again, I've had plenty of experience with electronics. If you don't feel comfortable with that, just take it in and get it dealt with. There is probably 80% chance that the problem you won't know how to identify the problem anyway if you don't have electronics experience. Wish I could offer more help.
Old January 13th, 2010, 03:08 AM   #11
New Boot

thanks

many thanks Mark and everyone else - still VF still dead. Luckily I have a 3 year warranty so contacting Sony now but very unusual - I've never had a problem with any Sony camera until now.
Old January 13th, 2010, 03:15 AM   #12
Trustee

let us know what it was please - better forewarned....
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Luckily I have a 3 year warranty so contacting Sony now but very unusual - I've never had a problem with any Sony camera until now.
Good deal (I also bought the 3 year warranty). Hopefully it'll be a quick turn-around and they'll cover it. Keep us in the loop.
Old April 20th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #14
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zetter View Post
I've just got my Z5 out after using another camera for a month and the electronic viewfinder isn't working. I've checked all the settings and reset the camera but still no joy. Everything else works fine and it was working when I put it away. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks, Paul
Hi Paul I have the same problem as you with my VF. Did you fix your VF problem? I would appreciate your pointers.

Thanks,
R.
Rolando Lugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 09:03 AM   #15
New Boot

viewfinder design fault?

Dear Rolando

This is timely as I've just got my camera back for the mender (not an official guy but can fix anything) here in Vietnam for the second time with this fault. He says the ribbon cable attaching the viewfinder cup to the body at the hinge is a different design to the Z1 and is a design weakness (in his opinion) as the hinge rubs on the connector not the fold of the ribbon. He's made a modification for my camera so fingers crossed although my warranty may be void now. Hope this helps
Paul Zetter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000