Z5 supplied mic - ECM-XM1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 12th, 2010, 05:21 AM   #1
New Boot

Z5 supplied mic - ECM-XM1

Hi

Forum newbie here...

I've recently bought a Z5. Although I know it's not the best mic out there I was considering trying to use the supplied mic (ECM-XM1) on the end of a boom in a project coming up.

At the moment I'm struggling to know what shockmount might make that possible.

Has anyone any experience of swapping this mic onto a boom mount?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

T
Tony Fogarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Trustee

i wouldn't consider the mic that good - you'd be better either hiring or buying something.

i read that rode have some pretty good, and relatively inexpensive shot gun mics, and they also do a range of suitable fittings, both for their own and other mics...

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #3
Go Cycle

I replaced the stock mic. on my Z-5 with the RODE NTG-1. An outstanding mic. However, the SONY mic. is an improvement over the PD-170 mic.
Old February 12th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #4
Major Player

I couldn't find any specs on the mic, but doesn't seem to me to be 20,000hz mike. But it's not too bad either. It's compact, that is one good thing about it. I went with a Sennheiser ME64.
Old February 17th, 2010, 12:38 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback guys... Look's like a bit more cash being splashed then... I'm erring towards the Rode NTG2 now.
Tony Fogarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #6
Tourist

Hi there,

I have just recently went through the same exercise and after extensive research from trying out and professional opinions this is what I concluded:

The Sennheiser 416 is by far the best mic in its catogary to the point it was delisted then listed again by popular demand. At over £800 this was well over my budget.

The Sony ECM 678 get a great write up but grossly over priced in many peoples opinion at around £800.

Again Sennheiser boast the ME66 but you do hear a slight buzzing, cost around £400

The best mic by far that I tested (and in others opinion) was the Rode NTG-3 ranging between £350 - £400.

If you go for any you will probably need a mic suspension kit to hold the mic away out of view from the camera (especially if you have a windcover on)
Best price I seen and it works great with lots of extras included is the Rycote universal camera kit:
Soundkit Ltd, UK Rycote Universal Camera Kit
Mark Devine is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000