Z5 and MRC1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:21 AM   #1
New Boot

Z5 and MRC1

Is there a way to have video go directly to the MRC1 without having a tape in the camera?

Asked another way... Is there a way to go tapeless? I would like to have everything go directly to the CF card.
Is there a setting on the camera I should look for? I am looking and looking through the manual without luck…
Steven Feinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Sure, many threads on this already. Set EXT REC CTRL on the Z5 to EXT ONLY. Page 88 of your Z5 manual.

On the MRC:
CAMLINK set to ON (default)
CAMLINK SEL set to SYNCHRO (Menu > SETTING > CAMLINK SEL > SYNCHRO)

On the Z5:
MENU > IN/OUT REC > EXT REC CTRL > REC CTRL MODE > EXT ONLY

Actually, as long as the MRC is connected to the cam, it will record directly to the card regardless of the settings. It's just that in any other mode, the cam is expecting a tape and will record to the tape as well, and will flash the annoying "No Tape" icon if there's not a tape in the cam. CAMLINK on the MRC only controls whether the REC Start/Stop button on the cam controls the MRC.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:10 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Feinstein View Post
.asked another way... Is there a way to go tapeless? I would like to have everything go directly to the CF card...

Steven
I am doing this all the time now. Good buy tapes Hello CF cards :-)

Stelios
Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:09 AM   #4
Trustee

much as i love recording to cf, i still bang a $2 tape in for archiving.

i suppose it all depends what you're shooting, but for paid work that $2 is great insurance for both the edit, and the shelf. i mean in two years when the client wants to use a shot from an old production, you're going to know where it is on a hard drive (that is, if you ever thought to back your original material up in the first place.....)

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:15 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Does anyone know of a way to do "Smooth Slow Recording" without a tape? It does not like EXT ONLY mode. It won't record without a tape, even when in RELAY mode.
Bill Ackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

don't ditch tapes......use it as backup.......you won't regret it
Resham Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

For my personal shooting I shoot straight CF, for my work I shoot both and just store the tape. I'm using 3xKingston 133X, 32Gb. I have yet to incur any faults or frame loss.

I also tried to to shoot the SWRecording to CF with no luck. Albeit I didn't go looking for an answer at the time, we were on the move. **NOTE TO SELF: rtfm again.
Mark Wheelan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000