Monitor out of Final Cut with Z5u??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 10th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Monitor out of Final Cut with Z5u???

How would I go about using my camera and TV as a monitor? I don't have a deck or kona card.

I just tried connecting my Z5U (with my firewire that I import footage with) and switched it to VCR mode, then out of the camera via HDMI into a small ikan 8 inch monitor and it did not work. The LCD on the camera and monitor displayed a blue screen with "HDVin iLink"

I went into FC and clicked on View> External Video> All Frames but nothing happened.
Marco Giordani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #2
New Boot

Displaying digital signal

You cannot go in and out digitally at the same time. So you can't connect to your computer using firewire, and at the same time play back from the camera using HDMI. This is mentioned in the manual. The only solution I have found other than going out analog, which looks ugly especially on an LCD or HD monitor, is to add on a card like a Kona and Blackmagic. That works great for me and cost me less than US $200.
Rian Maelzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 04:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

OH.............ok Rian how did you do it for $200? I would appreciate if you share your information.

I am looking for a way to monitor what I edit (titles, graphics, still frames, etc) so when I burn my projects to a dvd I don't have interlacing issues and other issues I see on the TV............then have to go back and re-edit, re-compress, re-burn.
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #4
New Boot

Blackmagic

Blackmagic Intensity Pro, which has HDMI input and output. Bought it here in Malaysia for 200USD. And I can vouch for the fact that it's authentic. Blackmagic checked the serial number when I contacted them for support, and verified it was legit. LCDs don't show interlacing though I believe. If you want to check interlacing and see the video as it will appear on a regular CRT TV, then using the supplied analogue cables to go from the Z5 to a CRT monitor is the best way I would think.
Rian Maelzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Are you saying that to check for interlacing issues I can't use an HDMI cable? Why?
Old March 13th, 2010, 03:46 AM   #6
New Boot

Deinterlacing

This is very far from my specialty, but I figure you can't use HDMI to check for interlacing issues unless you have a CRT monitor with an HDMI input (is there such a thing?) All LCD and Plasma monitors deinterlace before displaying images from my understanding. This Wikipedia entry might enlighten you more than I can. Deinterlacing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rian Maelzer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000