MRC1k HDV/DV problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 24th, 2010, 04:10 AM   #1
Major Player

MRC1k HDV/DV problem

I'm recording HDV1080i to tape and cannot get my MRC1K to record anything but DV. I played with settings on the unit and camera but have obviously missed something - can anyone help so I can record HDV/m2t files. The setting for HDV on the MRC1k is greyed out.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Is it possible you have i.LINK CONV turned ON in the cam? If so, the cam would be putting out DV rather than HDV, and if the MRC doesn't see any HDV it may not let you choose that mode.

That's the only reason I could think of that the HDV setting would be greyed out in the MRC.

Just to double check, make sure VCR HDV/DV is set to HDV (Page 83 of the Z5P/E manual, 73-74 for FX1000E) and i.LINK SET > HDV-DV CONV is set to OFF (page 85 for Z5P/E, 76 for FX1000E, where it's simply i.LINK CONV > OFF).

Last edited by Adam Gold; April 24th, 2010 at 01:21 PM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Adam, I have all those functions on/off as you mentioned, but HDV is still greyed out and DV appears in the MRC1K window. All the MRC1K files are being saved as AVI's in DV format which sort of negates the reason for recording onto it.
Do you have any other suggestions?
Old April 25th, 2010, 12:13 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If I'm reading the MRC manual correctly, the HDV or DV setting on the unit under i.LINK MODE is for playback only, and if HDV is greyed out it's because it only sees a DV clip on the card. It notes that you can't select this at all if there isn't a clip.

I'm pretty sure the MRC just records what you're feeding it from the cam, so I'd guess the issue is there. Which cam are you using? Can you confirm that it says HDV OUT on the upper right of the cam's LCD while you are recording, and not DV? Take a look at page 14 of the MRC manual for how this is supposed to look and how you can confirm your settings. It mentions the Z7 but should work the same for the Z5.

Otherwise, I'm stumped. Please let us know if you get this figured out.
Old April 27th, 2010, 01:49 AM   #5
Major Player

Adam I'm thick.
I recorded with DV out so it said DV on the MRC. As soon as I RECORDED a clip with HDV out it changed to HDV. But until I recorded a clip it kept HDV greyed out.
Many thanks now that I am in HD-land.
Old April 30th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I'm not exactly clear on what setting you changed to make it work, but if your screen said DV OUT then either the settings I mentioned above weren't correct, or you weren't really recording HDV as you said you were in your first post. I'm pretty sure you had to be recording in DV or downconverting to it to get that display.

But glad you got it sorted out.
Old May 13th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Chris, I am having the same issues, I am out putting HD and am getting .m2t clips off of the card which are HD clips but I cannot select anything except DV Raw or AVI on the mrc1. Been on hold with Sony for almost an hour trying to figure this out. I guess since I am getting HD clips it doesn't matter but its still confusing and upsetting...
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Again, this is only for when your cam is outputting DV. Check your cam's settings. Those menu choices are always visible but only apply to regular DV -- they have nothing to do with HDV and won't affect anything if that's what you are recording.

The MRC always relies on the cam to tell it what to record.
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I am 100% positive I am outputting HD footage to the MRC1 but I am wondering why there are no options what so ever on the MRC1 setings for HD input. Thanks for the response...
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #10
Inner Circle

There are no options to select because no options exist. It just records whatever you feed it from the cam. You set everything there. HDV is HDV and is always m2t. If you're getting m2t files on your card then everything is working perfectly.

What options are you looking for?
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #11
Regular Crew

There are options if you do one thing first...
Just got off the phone with sony and it seems that you must set up your camera to record HD first, then you must record a small clip on the MRC1 then the HD options will show up. He told me Just to choose Auto (then it will record whatever signal comes out of the camera) from the three options, which are
Auto, HD and DV... Problems solved except the avchd, which Sony is puzzled by... Thanks for all the help!
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Those are playback options only, not record. We've been down this road before. Your tech is nuts. Page 7 of the manual makes this clear....it's for playback. This is why you can't select anything if there's no clip on the card, because there's nothing to play back.
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Page 7 doesnt say anything about "playback" page 8 says "recording format "options - Not going to aargue with you, I will tt Sony and take their word for it even though they are nuts... Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Jeff Mayne; October 10th, 2011 at 04:34 PM.
Jeff Mayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Page 8 is referring to DV recording and as I said that's irrelevant if you are recording HDV. Page 7 is the only place than mentions Auto/HDV/DV, and that's for i.Link mode, which clearly states it is for playback.

You keep mixing up your questions and maybe that is why the Sony tech is confused. DV File type is about DV, which isn't related to either Rec Mode or i.Link Mode.

I'll certainly admit the manuals aren't great, and many times Sony Tech Support isn't wonderful, either.
Attached Thumbnails
MRC1k HDV/DV problem-i.link.jpg  
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I have read both manuals so many times it makes my head spin. I understand what you are trying to say now. As long as it is bringing in .M2t filles into premiere thats all that matters... THanks for your help and I know there was no disrespect intended...

Update, sony tech just called and windows 7 is labeling it avchd, it is coming up a .m2t file in Premiere. He also said that your "I Link mode is recording only.... You cannot change the playback of the mrc1 ("playback" means what the card records). So all of the problems are solved. If you switch the MRC1 "I Link" to DV it will only RECORD in SD not HD, Switch the "I Link" to HD and it records in HD only, so page 7 is referring to record not playback.... Sorry! Try it yourself! Mine is set on auto so that if I decided to record in sd in my camera i do not have to change anything in the mrc1. The manual is soooooo confusing!!!
Later...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000