could FX1000 owners confirm these features... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 26th, 2010, 03:47 AM   #1
Major Player

could FX1000 owners confirm these features...

Hi all,

Looking through the Z5U brochure (as I can't find one for the FX1000) and I was wondering if you could tell me if these Z5U features are also on the FX1000

- Two accessory shoe connectors (one above internal mic, one infront of eye piece hinge)
- Smooth controls (white balance and gain changes are apparently smooth instead of instantly switching)
- Minus gain -6 and -3gB gain settings for bright light use with open iris

I'm also a little confused that the Z5U appears to do native progressive recording and progressive scan mode where as the FX1000 only does the later (I think thats right anyway...) what exactly does this mean??

Many thanks guys
David
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 05:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Here is the FX1000 manual: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/HDRFX1000.pdf

As for your questions:

- only one hot shoe
- instant switch
- -3db gain only

As far as 30p mode - FX1000 does 60i but I think it's nothing but duplicated 30p when recording. I looked at footage and there was no interlacing.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 06:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

David,
look at this article:
Sony HVR-Z5 Camcorder Review

greetings
Dirk PEL(NL)
Dirk Pel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 07:15 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Siewior View Post
As far as 30p mode - FX1000 does 60i but I think it's nothing but duplicated 30p when recording. I looked at footage and there was no interlacing.
I really should understand what that means but the more I read the more I get confused... Does that mean the Z5 has something over the FX1000 in terms of how it uses its fields when recording?

The FX1 records 60i but I assume that is true 60i and not 30p doubled up (as it obviously doesnt record in 30p..)

Many thanks for the link, just what i was after
Old July 26th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Pel View Post
David,
look at this article:
Sony HVR-Z5 Camcorder Review

greetings
Dirk PEL(NL)
thanks again Dirk, looks great.

so when I capture my FX1 footage into premiere it appears as 1440x1080 (which I believe is 1080i) therefore if I went for the Z5 which according to the article:

"does not convert the 1080p signal to 1080i when going to tape (or flash memory)." does that mean the resolution of the finished article is technically higher? Or is this incorrect as both as 1080 pixels high?

Also does this not converting from 1080p to 1080i only come into play when recording in progressive mode? Or will recording in 60i result in the footage being filmed, captured, edited all in 1920x1080?

Sorry for all of the questions...!
Old July 26th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Any HDV tape cam is 1440, not 1920. So that would be your editing preset.

With the FX1000E if you shot 25p you'd capture in a 50i preset timeline. With the Z5E you'd use 25p to capture and edit, unless you chose to shoot in 25p over 50i mode (assuming you have the Euro version).

The resolution doesn't change, as neither cam can do 1080/50p (and you couldn't edit or distribute it anyway even it they could).
Old July 26th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #7
Major Player

The FX does have -6db setting.

The 24p is in a 60i wrapper (called Sony on this when the FX's were new) it's up to your NLE to unwrap the 60i to get the true 24p and the bad part is not all NLE's will do it.
Old July 27th, 2010, 03:59 AM   #8
Major Player

ok I think I get it, but the Z5U will do true 25p and be editable in a 25p timeline?
I'm using premiere pro CS4
Old July 27th, 2010, 07:29 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Akin View Post
The FX does have -6db setting.

The 24p is in a 60i wrapper (called Sony on this when the FX's were new) it's up to your NLE to unwrap the 60i to get the true 24p and the bad part is not all NLE's will do it.
Unfortunately that is not how it works. No NLE will remove the extra frames without the camera telling the NLE how to do it with flags in the stream. You will need another software tool to remove the extra frames. NLE's can only do it from cameras that ad the flags for the NLE to know which ones to remove. XH-A1 and HV40 are two that come to mind.
Todd Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Todd for clearing that up. It's been a while since I was trying to figure all the 24p stuff out myself. Never could understand why Sony would make a camera that laid down flags that there on NLE couldn't read. I would love to shoot and edit 24p but I'm not going to jump threw hoops to do it..... 30p for me.

I may be wrong but I think I remember reading that there was one NLE that would read the FX's flags....not sure though.
Old July 27th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I ve shot the FX1 for many years, and used its 24p setting a lot of the time. If you shoot 24p, the frames are delivered inside a 60i stream. The look is there, wether you remove the pulldown or not. But most us like to work with pure 24p because it just resolves a lot of potential issues.

I used Cineform products, which detect and remove the pull down in Sony's version of 24p, and it works great.

The cadence of Sony's FX1 24p is a bit different that Canon's and others, and purests have railed against it as not being true 24p. Other purists rail against any 24p contained in a 60i stream. The reason manufacturers did wrap it like that is because HDV protocols did not provide for progressive frames, as I understand it.
Old July 28th, 2010, 02:21 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
most us like to work with pure 24p because it just resolves a lot of potential issues.
What sorts of issues do people experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I used Cineform products, which detect and remove the pull down in Sony's version of 24p
Could you confirm whether the Z5U uses 'sony's version' of 24/25p or whether it records in true 24/25p and that is indeed the difference between the Z5U and FX1000.

I take it you don't get the same level of film look shooting in 30p compared to 24p? I've only ever shot in 60i (well, 50i as I'm in Europe), this is not the same as 30p is it?
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:30 AM   #13
Major Player

Hi everyone, I have finally decided I'm definitely buying the Z5 after all of your advice.

I am looking for the best place to buy it from with the Memory Card unit (or hard drive unit - not decided which yet)

However I was wondering if somebody could tell me:

1) does the Z5 use the same batteries as the FX1?
2) is there much handling noise using the included external mic on the bracket? I used a side mount for my ME66 on the FX1 but I get horrible handling noise whenever I move. I've read the ME66 won't fit on the Z5's mic holder so was considering just sticking with the supplied mic. What is it like?
3) Is there a UK and a US model of the Z5? The best price I've found says it records in 24p, however I'm in the UK so isnt there a model that records in 25p which will be more suitable for me? Or could I get away with saving £100 or so and getting the 24p model? - I've accidentally bought a US model of a canon HF200 in the past and it has caused problems when trying to mix the footage with my FX1 50i footage...

Thanks guys
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:52 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Point 1: Yes it's the same batterie.
Point: I use the mic witch is given by the Z5, not too bad.
Point3: You are living in a PAL country in this case use the Z5E

Dirk PEL
Dirk Pel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #15
Major Player

thanks Dirk, thats great.

Does anyone know if the MRCK1 unit records a new file on the memory card every time you push stop, like a conventional hard drive camcorder?
David J. Payne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000