Shooting 30p with the Z5u and FX1000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 18th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #1
New Boot

Shooting 30p with the Z5u and FX1000

We use both cameras a lot in tandem. We would like to shoot some progessive with them. I have noticed that the z5u shoots true 30p while the FX1000 shoots only 30p scan. How do these interface on the timeline and any problems combining them in a project. We edit with Premier CS4.
Larry Baran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Shooting 30p with the Z5u and FX1000

I wish I could help but I only shoot with the Z5 and don't use the FX1000. I was hoping someone would chime in. There are guys using both cameras but maybe they're not shooting progressive with both cameras.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:41 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yeah, I've had both but never really shot progressive with either other than as an experiment.

It's possible different NLEs would handle this differently. I think posting this in the Premiere forum might get you some answers. If I recall correctly, this has been discussed and the only difference is the FX1000 footage will need rendering. Or maybe the Z5.

My guess? On a 30p timeline the FX1000 30p/i footage will need rendering. On a 60i timeline the Z5 30p footage will need rendering. My hunch is they'll look similar if not identical, as it's my understanding that what you are doing in-camera on one is being done in the NLE on the other. But I could be completely wet on this.

By the way, you do know that you can shoot 30p over 60i on the Z5 so it'll match the FX1000 exactly, yes?

I'm thinking the best thing to do is shoot some 30p test footage on both cams (pseudo for the FX, native for the Z5) and try it on both 60i (30i) and 30p timelines and see what happens.
Old March 24th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Larry, if you would like to shoot progressive then shoot progressive on the Z5 as its true progressive and shoot interlace with your FX1000 and then transcode your FX footage to progressive. Then its all sweet on the timeline!

As a FCP user I use Compressor's 'better' settings in frame controls if I have interlaced footage that I want to be progressive and it does a great job.
Mark Andersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks guys it has been a help, going to try some test footage and will get back with how it works out
Larry Baran is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000