Z5 drop outs on new a camera - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 27th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Z5 drop outs on new a camera

please get back to us with the results.....
Old May 5th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Hey Robb; I'm based in Galway myself and got a Z5 three months ago. Ordered it from England and haven't had a problem with it yet.

I'd agree with getting the MRC1-k and a few CF cards. I do a lot of weddings and online commercials and always shoot on both tape and card at the same time; can never be too safe!

Let us know how you get on, it's strange that the same problem cropped up on both cameras.
Ronan O'Conghaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 08:06 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks for getting in touch. So glad to hear your camera is ok. Sony have the second camera now and I hope they are going to find the problem. I'll post an update if and when I get some info from them. Robb
(Irish and Tibetan Documentary Films: Six Degree Productions:)
Robb Bradstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 07:02 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Hi This is just to let you all know that I have been contacted by several people who have been experiencing exactly the same problems with drop out. so I think we talking about a bad batch of cameras now. Sony is now replacing the MD board, heads and deck on my brand new camera. It is now over three months since I bought the original camera and as you can imagine I am not happy about the unbelievable way I have been treated. I will update again when I get the camera back.
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #20
Trustee

any news?

curious
Old June 14th, 2011, 03:23 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Hi. Unbelievable delays but after almost 4 month the replacement camera is supposed to be on its way back to me at the moment. I am hoping it is fixed. I will test it and report back. I have lost faith in so called Prime Support and think Sony should have had the decency to admit to this probelm and recall all the cameras with this issue and not try to avoid responsibilty but I guess big business doesn't think people like us count. I have contacted consumer advocacy agencies to see if the can help in any way. I haven't heard recently from the other poeple who have similar problems about their progress..
Old June 22nd, 2011, 07:49 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I also have a lot of dropouts on my Z5... And also only use Sony DV Premiums (DVM60ME)
I have not reported the problem tho and i already have this camera for more that 2 years now.
Stefanos Lampridis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:18 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Just would like to add to report a specific finding with Adobe and HDV Split:

I was using HDV Split and recently found it reporting (and looking) as though I was getting the odd drop (once in every 4 or 5 tapes) using HDVS via Adobe CS4.

Subsequent re capturing the same tapes via Adobe CS5.5 (they now have the scene detect section working), I am seeing no drops with the same tapes.

In my experience the M2T file created by HDV Split causes some issues with the 64 bit workings of Adobe CS5.5 (Runtime Errors) and you are advised to recapture via the CS5.5 capture screen.

Not saying this is your problem, but some might like to be aware of this if they are using HDV Split and Adobe CS4.

:)
Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:52 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info.
Stefanos Lampridis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Hi This is just to let you Sony is sending me yet another camera after the same problem of multiple drop outs happened on second "repaired one". Another person contacted me with the same issue on a camera bought in New York in the last few months. Could I be third time lucky!? I will let you know............
Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:28 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Jeez, this is really taking the piss at this stage.
Ronan O'Conghaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 05:56 AM   #27
Trustee

robb sent me a picture of his timeline.... with this explanation:

Below is a view of the timeline on 3 different captures of part the same tape. This was done from the same problem camera using a different firewire cable and different computer. As you can see there are blocks not recorded and the drops outs occur in 2 places that a similar and the rest are different on each capture. I still want to try and use tape for the reasons I stated on the forum. Any thoughts ideas would be most welcome.

obviously it isn't simple drop-outs we're looking at here.

has me completely baffled.....
Old November 15th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #28
Inner Circle

I'm not seeing anything that convinces me that anything is "not recorded." The dropouts seems to be in different places each time. Even when they are close they don't line up exactly -- there is a slight shift. There are no gaps that actually are in the same place, as they would be if anything were missing on the recording.

So the signal seems to be recorded fine, which leads me to believe it isn't a camera problem -- at least in the recording phase.

I'm still thinking some grit that's moving around on the tape.

He's using FCP, no? Maybe he should try using a PC with something like Premiere.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000