DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   Hvr-z5u (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/497990-hvr-z5u.html)

Jeff Kerry July 2nd, 2011 08:20 PM

Hvr-z5u

Not sure where to post this as I did not see a sectin for the above camera.

We have 2 of these new cameras. I am having a problem iwth using them with a green screen. Each time I try to video and edit in Vegas the video looks out of focus with a slight blurr.

Can anyone offer some assistance. Videoing in HD format.

tHANKS,

Jeff

Chris Hurd July 2nd, 2011 10:55 PM

Re: Hvr-z5u

Moved to our Z5 forum.

Leslie Wand July 2nd, 2011 11:41 PM

"video and edit in vegas"?

are your shots in focus in the camera, in playback on the camera?

what's your preview in vegas set to?

Don Bloom July 3rd, 2011 05:47 AM

Jeff,
part of the problem might be in the way it is lit, part could be the actual focus point of the camera some might be the Vegas keyer. Perhaps you could post a freeze frame of what you have so we can take a look and see if we can help.

Jeff Kerry July 3rd, 2011 11:15 AM

Screen Shot

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a png of the video.

But like I said, when capturing the video in Vegas Pro 10 the capture screen is clear and sharp, but this is what I get when I bring it into Vegas.

Don Bloom July 3rd, 2011 12:22 PM

The first thing that jumped out at me is some flash from the green screen. In the talents hair, on the edge of the chair, the left vertical of the black tablecloth on the rear corner and the left edge of the computer.
That says to me that 1) the talent is a bit too close to the green screen and it needs to be lit a bit differently. Without seeing the exact lighting setup you used it's hard to say exactly what needs to be done with the lighting but I can say the reason it looks sharp in the capture screen is because the capture screen is generall pretty small in comparason to the preview screen also there might be something going on in the timeline. Is there any FX applied or is the opacity slider set to anything less than 100% which BTW can happen without ever realizing it.
I would check all of that first then try keying it out and see what happens to the image. At least that way you have more of a direction to go in. Otherwise, it really is a guessing game. Let us know.

Jeff Kerry July 3rd, 2011 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don,

Thank you for the suggestions. But sorry I uploaded an image for what I was trying to work on correcting.

Here is a copy from the captured video off the tape. Nothing added or any FX applied. The opacity is at 100%.

Just not sure if it is the way I have the camera setup also, but itis at the church and ot with me to check the settings.

Thanks,

Jeff

Don Bloom July 3rd, 2011 04:40 PM

Jeff, I still see some flash on the corner of the table, the laptop and the chair so that might cause you a problem with the key but as to why the image seems to be going soft check in the Sony NX5 forum here as IIRC theree was a thread about greenscreen work with the NX5 and what the proper cam settings should be. I think there are a few threads regarding soft image and greenscreen that might benefit you way more than I can.

Jeff Kerry July 3rd, 2011 06:51 PM

Dan,

Again thank you. Spoke with the minister today and told him what I have been finding and we are going to rework the light settings this week and swee what happens.

Will look into the fourm you suggested.

BTW - You don't happen to be close to New Orleans, could use some help.

Jeff

Don Bloom July 3rd, 2011 08:07 PM

well if you consider about 900 miles to be close but for an order from Cafe DuMond I might....;-)

If you're going to redo the work I would pull the minister forward about another foot or 2 if you have the room maybe frame it a bit tighter and use the least amount of lights possible. I shoot talking heads on greenscreen and use 2 600W softboxes at about 45 degrees left and right from the camera. As long as it's evenly lit with no hot spots or shadows that show I happy. It is very quick, down and dirty and worls like a charm of course I shot this stuff SD for the web for my clients intranet sites but the principles are the same.

Hope it works out for you

Frans Meijer July 6th, 2011 12:56 PM

Light the face in the foreground, independently, it seems he now gets most of the light indirectly from the green background.
Increasing the distance between green and person is always good
With faces on the Z5, always use manual focus. Actually, always use manual focus.
Those lights that light the green screen, do they shine directly into the lens? The Z5 does not like that.

Leslie Wand July 6th, 2011 05:54 PM

judging from the image you posted that has to be the worst lit chromakey i've seen in a long time ;-)

frans's post sums it up - light separately, get some space in there....