Drop frame issue with Z5 - please help!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 16th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #1
New Boot

Drop frame issue with Z5 - please help!!!

Hello:

I am having a situation with a series of drop frames during capture. When I stop the capturing process the recored material does not have a drop frame during playback. The drop frames doesn't always happened on the same place (or scene take) of the tape and it's also happening with different tapes. I only use Sony PHDVM-63M / DVM63 tapes. At some point got two drop frames during playback but when I rewind the tape it played fine.

Final Cut is giving me this message:

Stream Problem
Capture was stopped due to a problem with the incoming stream. This might be a problem with the tape. All media up to this point has been preserved.

I took the camera to an authorize dealer, they didn't find nothing wrong with the camera and cleaned the heads, but still the same problem persist. The camera only have 260 recorded hours. It looks fine when a tape is being playback, no hits or error message that could indicate a tape head malfunction.

NOTE:
Before this problem began, the camera was giving a C:31: / C:32: error and a technician at the same authorize dealer, replaced the tape transporter. The drop frames problems started just after that.

EQUIPMENT
Camera: SONY Z5
Tape: Sony PHDVM-63M / DVM63
Final Cut Studio 3
i.Link 400

Could anyone give me some advice, thanks!!

Rolando
Rolando Lugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Drop frame issue with Z5 - please help!!!

If you are getting drops AFTER a technician replaced the transport mechanism, then I would take it back to the tecjnician and have him/her make sure everything is in order specifiacally the tracking and roller assembly.
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Go Cycle

Have your tech person check for a error rate adjustment. This was common in some JVC models as well.
Old September 19th, 2011, 05:43 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks guys!!!

To what extend should I try to fix this issue? Yesterday I just ordered a HVR - MRC1 memory recording unit in order to go tapeless. Nevertheless the camera is now giving me drop frames during playback!!! Should I address this situation or just move on and go tapeless once and for all?

Thanks,
Rolando
Rolando Lugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 05:50 AM   #5
Trustee

i've been tapeless for a couple of years, but i always shoot with a tape loaded. it makes for easy archiving (at a very low cost), and is more secure than a hd.

i would certainly get it attended to.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000