How much longer to keep the Z5? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 2nd, 2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Major Player

How much longer to keep the Z5?

Just curious how much longer you plan to keep using your Z5 before considering it obsulete and upgrading to either tapeless, or better quality (new generation) cam? Some of these new cams out there are really nice. I'm not seeking advice, just your thoughts where the Z5 sits with newer technology cams...
Old December 2nd, 2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: How much longer to keep the Z5?

With the integrated MRC, the Z5 is tapeless. It has features that have been removed from the NX5. I consider it the pinnacle of affordable pro HDV tape cams from Sony and for me, I have no plans to replace the four I own unless I move to a whole new format. Like I win the lottery and can afford four new EX3s....
Old December 3rd, 2011, 02:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Was thinking exactly the same thing but with the MRC it's still great pics for $5K. THe XLR out, the lens range and choice of accessories make it too good to change over yet. I suppose you could jump the gun and get rid of it as tape is pretty well dead, but what do you replace it with - nothing I've seen for the money and quality.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 06:14 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I think there's a nice selection of 3-ring, high zoom 3-chip 1/3" replacements if you don't want to go the MRC route to solid state. In the $3-4K range there's the HDR-AX2000, AG-AC130, HXR-NX5U and AG-AC160.

The Z5 HDV market segment is now AVCHD. You have to go above $5k to step up in CODEC
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I am considering to upgrade from my z5u but can't find anything that can do the job for me as good as this camera does. z5u is ideal for stage productions as a stationary camera. Never used it in tapeless mode (lack of MRC) and have been getting drop outs more often recently.
I like this camera and not sure if I should get MRC (another 1K investment with cards) or sell it and go tapeless.
Alex Khachatryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Major Player

Looking at B&H the Z5's seem to have dropped at least $500 in price lately and the MRC is only $800, so second hand it may not be worth selling, but using as a second cam. Most of my stuff is for webmedia and non-broadcast, so for me it's brilliant, easy, reliable - I'm not going to buy and sell same for same. If you're working towards a broadcast format then obviously you need to step up, but otherwise I'd wait.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 04:08 AM   #7
Trustee

i agree 110% with adam's comments....

i don't see any alternative in my situation (i require tape for major clients and national broadcasters), though i do shoot with a mrc as well.

i had a play with some other higher end cameras, but no tape, no go, and to be perfectly honest, the pics out of the z5 are simply stunning - as would be any hd pics shot correctly ;-)
Old December 4th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
It has features that have been removed from the NX5
That's good feedback about the Z5. Pretty amazing that given all the new cams it is still as good as it is. Per the NX5U, I thought they added features, like GPS, Tapeless, H/d, Touchscreen, AVCHD and the rest of the cam was essentially the same layout and features. What doesn't the NX have vs the Z5?
Old December 4th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #9
Inner Circle

One that comes immediately to mind is Shot Transition, which seems like a silly useless feature, but it's the only way to get a slow creeping zoom over 90 seconds or so, which we use quite a bit in concerts. There are a couple of others mentioned in the early NX5 threads, as I recall, but they don't come immediately to mind.

If I remember them I'll post links.
Old December 4th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #10
Inner Circle

The z5 makes fabulous images as it is.

To extend its life for just about ever why not record off the hdmi for even better quality. I have seen some of this footage and you'd have to spend big bucks to top it!!!
Old December 6th, 2011, 03:11 AM   #11

Jvc hm150?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 03:33 AM   #12
Trustee

wouldn't give jvc equipment a second look. i know mike has some jvc cameras he's happy with, but my experience of jvc equipment has been abysmal, from the knobs falling off their pro d7 vtrs and tacky knobs on their pro cameras, through to proprietary .mod files and wayward crt colour monitors....

i always felt (feel) that they could never quite position themselves, so opted to try and cover all bases by producing feature rich 'cheap and tacky' equipment.

in 40+ years of working in broadcast tv i have never seen jvc equipment used 'professionally' in a tv studio or serious post facility.
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #13
Major Player

If you're really happy with the camera and want to extend the life, especially if starting to get more dropouts, take a look at the Atomos Ninja, will take HDMI out of camera prior to compression and record as 4:2:2 ProRes for much better result than HDV tape (or same format on MRC unit).

Jeff Pulera
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #14
Go Cycle

Having owned the Z-5, a great camera. I have now replaced it with the Panasonic AG AC-130. WOW!!!!
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #15
Major Player

Define "Wow!" (in detail)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000