Preferred method of toting your cam? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Preferred method of toting your cam?

Do you guys prefer to carry your Z5 in a bag or case?

I've converted a backpack into a case for ease of portability and makes it inconspicious and easy to tote around in the back country.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Preferred method of toting your cam?

camera alone or with 'stuff'?

i use a:

CineBags - Production Bag
Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:23 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Goodsell View Post
Do you guys prefer to carry your Z5 in a bag or case?
I use a Petrol PR-DB2 padded bag; it holds the Z5, toplight, G2 radio mic, Sennheiser shotgun mic, Rycote lapel mic, headphones, and spare batteries, tapes, compact flash cards and cables. It's small enough to take as hand luggage on a plane too (at least, I went to Australia once with it like that and had no problem)

Cheers
Dave
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 06:59 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I would certainly go backpack if I were wandering around the backcountry.

In and out of cars and airplanes, I use a petrol top-load bag. Not as convenient to carry, but it holds all the batts, supplies, wireless lav, wired lav, shotgun, small tools, w.a. lens etc., and most important to me, I can work out of the bag very easily. I don't need a table to spread out the stuff to find what I need. That's what I really like about top-load bags.

My current bag has served through several small cams, it's a Petrol PCCB-1N, which has now apparently been replaced by this one:
PC201 | petrolbags.com
Old February 4th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I use the Thinktank Streetwalker pro for an EX1r. I don't know how the Z5 differs in size with the EX1 but I like the Thinktank because it meets the airline spec for a personal item. When combined with a full size carryon backpack for your other stuff and a toothbrush, the Thinktank papooses nicely in the front while the other pack goes on the back.

I'm not sure about the Z5 but the EX1 can be in the pack, handle facing the opening and at the ready (except for shotgun mic). This lets you open the back pull the camera and shoot. The critical height to enable that configuration is the height.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #6
Major Player

I use a Porta Brace bag to carry my video camera and can tell you the quality is very good. You can go to their web site and select your camera make/model and then see what bags they have that will work with your camera. They show 23 products for the Z5. Check prices at B&H also. A couple links:

Product Search
Porta Brace BK-1NQS-M4
CS-DV4/DC

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #7
Trustee

BEFORE you buy check what you need the bag for!!!!

do you carry a full load of extras - batteries, lights, mics, matte box, etc.,

do you want to leave matte box on or off (i leave mine on, hence 'big' production bag.

need run 'n' gun, or efp?
Old February 7th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #8
Major Player

Pelican case with laser cut foam - carries the rads, batts, cables, CF cards, charger, all neatly positioned - not much good for back country though.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Mark. I use a CineBags CB-25 Revolution Backpack for my cameras when I'm the woods or need portability. I live in the Sierra Nevada's and have backpacked my whole life. I went for 6 days in the 'Golden Trout Wilderness' with it and was very happy. I've also carried it for several social protest in metropolitan areas, including a few wild "occupy" events in Oakland.

The bag meets my basic needs and has good protection; padding, shielding and has a built in rain cover. I can carry my Z5 w/o the eye piece attached snugly in the middle. I have even used it for carrying both my Z5 and my FX1 at the same time, although its not my ideal pack for TWO cameras. It has has a well padded hip-belt that keeps the weight on my hips, and that's very important for a sometimes heavy pack (see the photos at B&H).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/571257-REG/CineBags_CB_25_DIGITAL_CAMO_CB_25_Revolution_Backpack_Digital.html

Last year I added a military grade tactical vest to the package so I can put the pack down and film an area more comfortably (plus: belt, and bags and leggings for bags). I can carry my extra 970's closer to my body reducing the stress of their weight. One aspect that makes the deal is that it affords a solid cup for my Gitzo monopod on the belt and 'D-rings' on the shoulders for straps that steady my camera, it is invaluable when you need it. -- The vest are like tinker toys; expandable with interchangeable pouches so you can build it to meet your needs.

Basic vest that I use: CamelBak Delta 5 Tactical Hydration Vest (there are considerably cheaper ones that would work just as well, I like the contained water)

Being both mobile and carrying everything I need is important to me. This combo works good for me, its solid and dependable. -- It also meets carry-on luggage specs.

I hope that helps.
Mark Wheelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 06:05 AM   #10
New Boot

For our Z5 we have used:
Pelican Case - original case we bought for the Z5 (retired - too heavy, cumbersome, inflexible)
Petrol Backpack - Petrol PCBP-1 Papoose Mini DV Hiker Professional Backpack which came secondhand with another camera.
Porta brace armour - which we haven't used yet, but purchased to use in situations of unfavorable weather/conditions - rain, beaches, etc. (we would attach Porta brace before going into the field - it is a bit of a bugger to out on quickly).

Of these three, the Z5 lives in the Petrol Backpack with its Sony Wide Angle/Matte Box Kit Z5
VCL-HG0872K 'permanently' fixed on. As well as the camera/wide angle/matte box we squeeze in:

spare batteries, lcd hood, rotolight interview kit, Fostex t50 headphones, wireless mics, dead cat, shot gun mic, 5 in 1 reflector, 6m xlr cable, tapes, pencils, white balance card, notebook, field shoot paperwork, wallet, lunch, safety vest, hat, Room on the outside for the boom pole and smaller tripod (miller solo is a bit too big)

It is very comfortable on the back, and we like the freedom of having the hands free to carry other things. In the field it is quite nice to zip it open and have all the gear spread out in front of you ready to go.

I think the model has been discontinued now.

Last edited by Andrew Yip; February 26th, 2012 at 06:24 AM. Reason: left out info
Andrew Yip is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000