MRC1 won't work independently at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:50 AM   #1
Major Player

MRC1 won't work independently

My MRC1 only works with a tape in the camera on settings synchronous and/or relay. When I switch to external the MRC1 won't fire up and record.
Am I doing anything wrong?
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 05:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: MRC1 won't work independently

Chris, If you are just using the MRC1 by itself on your camera, you have to press the two record button on the unit simultaneously, and you will see a red light, that is if you're NOT using the Z5u or the Z7u camera's.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:40 AM   #3
Inner Circle

What cam are you using? If you have a Z5 than the cam must be set to EXT ONLY in EXT REC CTRL > REC CTRL MODE (Page 85-86) and you must have the hard CAMLINK button ON on the MRC unit.

If you have an FX1000, you don't have EXT REC CTRL and you have to set to Follow mode on the unit, and yes, you must have a tape in the cam to use the REC button on the cam to start the MRC. Otherwise you must, as Rickey notes, use the REC buttons on the MRC. That's how Sync and Relay and Follow are designed -- that's the point of them.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 03:46 AM   #4
Major Player

I have a Z5, I'll try again.
Old April 10th, 2012, 04:23 AM   #5
Major Player

Nope, no luck, anything else anyone can think of??
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #6
Inner Circle

On the Z5, EXT REC CTRL is on EXT ONLY?

On the MRC, the hard CAM LINK button is ON (icon visible on screen) and CAM LINK SEL is on SYNCHRO?

Can you post shots of your menu screens so we can see your settings?

You could try an ALL RESET on the MRC to restore the default settings. Also, what firmware are you using -- Sony put out an update a while ago, although I doubt that's your issue.

Just to clarify, if you use the REC buttons on the MRC itself, it records properly?
Old April 10th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Major Player

voila, success!
Had to reset the MRC as CAM LINK SEL had disappeared. When it came back SEL was on FOLLOW not SYNCH. Switched it over and bingo!
So am I correct to say that if EXT REC CTRL is on SYNCHRO and CAM LINK SEL remains on SYNCHRO I can record with or without tape ?
And thanks Adam for persisting - appreciate it.
Old April 10th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Yes. It shouldn't work that way but it does -- I just tested it. The only difference is if you are in SYNCHRONOUS mode and do not have a tape inserted, the little yellow tape icon will keep blinking at you on your LCD until you go mad. The only way to make it go away forever is to use EXT ONLY mode.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000