Should I sell Z5? (Tape drop outs!) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 2nd, 2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Major Player

Should I sell Z5? (Tape drop outs!)

Hey guys,
I have the Sony Z5 since 2009 and its been a really great camera, however it seems like there is always at least a few droped frames on nearly every tape. Getting annoying. I don't feel like I ve used it enough to have it doing that. I also dislike the lens ramping when your zoomed in (F3.2)

It has
36 x 10 Operation Hours
24 x 10 Drum Run
15 x 10 Tape Run
46 x 10 Threading

I ALWAYS use fresh premium sony tapes (the blue ones about $2.50 each) (Which always work great on my sony Z1 too without any tape dropouts)

What do yout think? Should I sell and get something else? I am getting out of the event videography business anyways and doing commercials althought I would like to keep a few good event cameras if anyone can recommend.
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Should I sell Z5? (Tape drop outs!)

Why don't you just get the MRC and go tapeless with your existing Z5?
Old April 2nd, 2012, 03:18 PM   #3
Inner Circle

If I sold a camera everytime I had a dropout I probably wouldn't have any cameras left. Yes I still shoot tape.
Have you tried to 1) run a head cleaner thru it and 2) perhaps take into an authorized sony repair and have the head alignment checked. I went thru that last year on one of my cameras even after replacing the recording head. It took the tech about 30 minutes to check it, fix it and bill me ;-) but it's been trouble free since.
Just sayin'.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Major Player

I like tape for events - its better then backing everything up to DVD (uggg.)

I think I have found the problem - I spoke with a company - Canon Camcorder Repair | Sony Camcorder Repair - and since I ALWAYS play my tapes back on the Fx7 I own, which has been having issues, it looks like my camera might be totally fine!!!

Thanks for the input guys!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000