Smooth Slomo Rec Problem! Help!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #1
New Boot

Smooth Slomo Rec Problem! Help!!

Hi,

I need help! I used the Smooth Slomo Rec function on my Z5 and on the LCD screen it looked normal (even looked awesome)! Now in post I'm getting the scare of my life because the footage is downright awful!:( I went online to search for a solution, but the only thing I find now is that people don't advise it and that's about it!
Problem is I recorded some unique things abroad and there's no way of going back there to reshoot!:(

Is there some way to polish these shots so I can use them?? Maybe some plugins or something like that?

Please help me out, I don't know what to do with it!

Thanks in advance!

Grtz,

Tim
Tim van Weldam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Smooth Slomo Rec Problem! Help!!

a little more info would help.

what's your tl settings?

you do realise that shooting slo mo lessens resolution?

In Slo Mo mode, the Z5 records 200 fps bursts for 3, 6 or 12 seconds to RAM in quarter size standard def, then upscales to 1440x1080i when writing to tape. The other factor that could affect image quality is the fast shutter needed to record 200 fps.
Old February 17th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, someone posted a really great native slomo frisbee video here a few years ago. Came out immaculate, so it can work well. I suppose fixing yours depends on what the problem is. I'm surprised it looked good in the viewfinder, yet came out bad. My first guess is either the shutter wasn't fast enough, or if it was shot indoors it's very very dark, or you were panning/tilting to fast & is extremely blurry.

Again, can you provide further details. Possibly, it is a video conversion issue where you can Interpret Footage or its in the wrong setting (fps, HDV etc)
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Good morning,

You might try using the Neat FX. I have used it on noisey footage and salvaged a number of marginal shots!!

If you do not have it I could run a test for you.

dale
Old September 30th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #5
Major Player

Does anyone know if this feature (SMTH SLO REC) can be used when shooting with the MRC1 CF adapter?

I had used it for tape a couple time, however now when I try using it when shooting to card the Recording just doesn't activate. I'll hit it multiple times to no avail. Page 109 of the manual saying it does not work if "EXT REC CRTL is set to EXT ONLY"

So I'm guessing by that it needs to shoot to tape, but thought I'd check if anyone else has used it sucessfully.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:32 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Just to tape I'm afraid. It won't smooth slow record to the MRC1K.
Ronan O'Conghaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 08:07 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks. I figured as much, but was wondering if myb somehow it did work. Ashame, it's a real nice feature when used. I suppose I can bring a spare tape with me for that purpose when shooting weddings & such & just capture it from tape into PC.
David Barnett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000