Headphones don't work at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 14th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #1
New Boot

Headphones don't work

I sometimes borrow a friend's Sony HDR FX1000, and I've been re familiarizing myself with it for a project. I just bought an Audio Technica 899 lav mic for my project, I shot some test footage and everything is going great. EXCEPT I'm not getting anything through the headphones. The meters are reading, on both the camera and the Juiced Link mixer (the camera doesn't have XLR ports). These are nice Sony headphones, and I also tried a set of my son's ear buds, and didn't get anything through them, either. If the camera's receiving the sound, and there's nothing wrong with the head gear, what can it be? Any ideas? I'd be grateful.
Doug Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Headphones don't work

The headphone plug on the Sony cameras for some reason are a "delicate" plug. I had to replace them on my PD150 & PD170. They seemed to "short" out. Sometimes I could hear thru my cans, sometimes one side sometimes not at all. It became a real PITA. Sorry but typically it either works or not and since you tried different phones/buds and it still not working, it sounds like it needs to be replaced.
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Welcome Doug, this might work for you it has before. Put a tiny spot of Brasso on a clean rag, wipe it around the end of the headphone brass jack plug
and push the plug in the cam socket and twist it around a few times. Pull it out, wipe it clean and push it back in and twist again.

There are many different quality grades of brass, Swiss watches use a high grade but h/phones and cameras use a cheaper grade and brass corrodes
in the atmosphere. H/phone brass jack plugs should be cleaned like this, at least once a year.

Cheers.
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Is the cam's internal speaker working? If not, you do have the playback volume turned up on the control panel under the LCD screen, right? (P.124)
Old June 4th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I agree with Adam, Have you checked the internal speaker. Does the internal speaker turn off when you plug in the headphones? You will need to be in playback mode with a tape playing with sound on it.
Old June 9th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks, everyone. Sorry for the tardy reply. It was indeed a minor issue. The guy I'm borrowing the camera from had indeed turned down the playback volume. I stumbled into the answer by resetting the camera to factory settings. Thanks again for your feedback!
Doug Swift is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000