Where to after the Z5... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 18th, 2014, 03:39 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: Where to after the Z5...

Hello again fellow Z5 lovers :)
Keen to get some opinions on this new cam
First Look: New Panasonic HC-X1000 4K Camcorder, Packed with Professional Features | explora

Feature wise, this one looks the goods. Few people are saying that the sensor is weak though.

I say again, my Z5 in good light is everything I want, would the X1000 be better in low light though, or similarly noisy to the Z5?

I mainly do event type stuff and an occasional wedding so dont need uncompressed/ prores 444 etc.
Just a pleasing image.

I still find the image from the Z5 gorgeous, did this last weekend and got rave reviews from the Mums and Dads. Sometimes the venues are darker though.... :(

All opinions greatly appreciated
Old September 18th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #32
Trustee

well if i do pull the trigger it's going to be either the pmw 180, or preferably the 200 with its 1/2" chips.
Old September 18th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #33
Trustee

Yep. The 200 was the dream. But the next price bracket too.
Although, if the x1000 ends up being 4.5k then 6k for the 200 is a no brainer.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 04:06 AM   #34
Trustee

ok, raking over an old thread...

pulled the trigger on a low hours 2nd hand ex1. at $3k it seems the best option for MY work. i reckon i'll put my z5 on ebay for a starting figure of $1750 AU and see what happens.

what it all really boiled down to in the end was practicality:

a. no stuffing around with unknown cameras and their quirks and idiosyncrasies

b. ditto accessorising them for MY type of production, eg, decent audio, shooting style (not that the ex1 is hand held friendly)

c. cheap media - using an sxs adapter to record to cheap sd cards which i can send to the client in a rotational manner

d. familiarity of controls etc.,

e. stunning pics - my z5 pics weren't at all bad, but they weren't broadcast quality. ie. discovery, abc, etc.,

f. and serviceable locally (well sydney) by both techs and or sony themselves.

g. NOT avchd

we'll see how it goes. i'll still dream on about arri's, etc., but in reality $3K rings all the right bells ;-)
Old May 7th, 2015, 06:52 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Hi Leslie,

Post back when you sell the Z5. I am thinking of selling mine. I also have the CF card recorder and will likely sell that with it. I just don't know what to ask for it.

Cheers,

Mark
Old May 8th, 2015, 12:53 AM   #36
Trustee

a client of mine just bought it - $2k with mrck1. if i's ebay'ed it i would have put a res of $1750 and expected around (optimistically) $2250>2500.

it was in excellent working and COSMETIC condition. i stress the cosmetic cause a lot of people are put off by missing lettering, scratches, dings, etc.,

i also threw in 4 batteries (960 copies) and a couple of 16gb class 10 cards.

good luck with selling yours. what you after next?

btw 760 hrs
Old May 8th, 2015, 01:41 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback. That's about what I'm hoping for. $2000 if possible but wasn't sure about including the mrck1. It is much more attractive with it included though. Mine's done 1006 hrs operation; 260 hrs tape. Still looks new.

I'm currently shooting weddings on GH3 & GH4 but take the Sony as a backup. DSLR style cameras are fiddly and a pain to use but with the right lenses the images are superb.

At my other job we shoot P2 (502 & 172) but we're looking at either the Sony FS7 or the new BMD Ursa Mini. I have convinced them the large sensor look is fantastic for the right client, but we still need a rugged workhorse ENG style camera for much of our work: training, inductions, corporate stuff. I really like the look of the DVX200 as that would be a great camera for weddings and a good replacement for the 172.

I hope we get the DVX200 as well so I can borrow it for weddings.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited by Mark Whittle; May 8th, 2015 at 01:45 AM. Reason: added comment
Mark Whittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 03:51 AM   #38
Trustee

hope you get what you wish for on all fronts :-)

much as i like the 'dslr' look, they are for me totally useless. if i had time to set up shots, audio, etc., etc., i might have given them more thought, but after trying a couple of times i simply gave up. a camcorder is a camcorder and a dslr is primarily designed for stills - no matter how well you dress it up.

agree the fs7 and ursa mini look very interesting - and i might well have gone down a similar route had not the cost of 'good' glass thrown me right off. also by the time you pimp out the ursa to 'eng' specs it's not looking that cheap anymore...

all the best

leslie

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000