FX1000, Grainy footage into Ninja Star???? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 17th, 2014, 08:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FX1000, Grainy footage into Ninja Star????

Gday, anyone out there using a Nija recorder via HDMI from the Sony FX1000?
I seem to be getting a BIG quality drop, when recording in low light, compared to footage recorded similtaniously on to normal tape.
Stunning results on tape when videoing a concert a few weeks ago, but the Ninja footage was awfull...
Subsequent tests aroud the house with varying lights produce low quality footage, "compared to the same footage on tape".
Makes me wonder if the FX1000 really does have 1920x1080 HDMI......
Tried all the Ninja settings, absolutely no difference, so far.
Works nicely in good light, such as an outdoor wedding ceremony!!!???
Very disappointing.... Will have to go back to tape!
Jack Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 08:34 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: FX1000, Grainy footage into Ninja Star????

Well it's 1.30am here in Newcastle Australia, and I'm still testing this Ninja Star-FX1000 combo.
Ran footage thru the Nija from one of my DSLRs,"Canon 600d" and a Canon HFS20 Camcorder.
Just an overhead light, they both produce outstanding video for the conditions, very hard to see any grain at all... So I'm convinced that the Ninja is working as it should...
Hope its not a mal-functioning FX1000. Love that camera!
Old December 17th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The only thing I can think of is a wrong setting on the fx1000 or maybe on the ninja star, have you checked with mediainfo what properties the file from the fx1000 on your ninja star has, like what resolution, bitrate?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Here's a screenshot of the properties from cyberlink PowerDirector.
Still playing with ALL settings in different light conditions...
Have posted on the Atomos site, might get some ideas from there...
Attached Thumbnails
FX1000, Grainy footage into Ninja Star????-test.jpg  
Old December 21st, 2014, 07:02 PM   #5
Inner Circle

This is a little strange as I think the FX is stunning in low light, and if your pic on tape is good then it isn't malfunctioning. There aren't any settings that could affect the HDMI out so I'm at a loss. If anything, the pic from HDMI should be better then what's on the tape.

Best way to check would be to go from live FX straight to a HUGE HDTV monitor via HDMI while recording, then play back the tape and see what you get. If they look the same, then it's the Ninja.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 08:49 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Well thanks for the tips folks!
Put the fx1000 back to default settings, then played around with the ninja stars settings some more. Got a new hdmi cable, and viola, great video from both tape and ninja now.... Even viewing on large screen telly, thanks Adam, that made for a way better comparison, compared to computer screen.
I have no idea what the actual problem was, just hope its not an intermitant issue. Did a wedding using the fx1000 and a couple of 600Ds, yesterday. Worked out really well, ninja footage was perfect. That fx1000 was a dream to use for run n gun. Had it on a shoulder rig, too easy!
Jack Walsh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000