Using a Sony HVR-MRC1 with Resolve Studio 17.2.2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old August 9th, 2021, 06:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Using a Sony HVR-MRC1 with Resolve Studio 17.2.2

Hi all,

I've got a thorny problem. I've got two Sony HDV cameras with MRC1 memory recorders mounted on the back (Z5E & Z7E). I shot a film over the course of the day using free run timecode and recorded on the memory unit. The memory unit takes CF cards and records video clips with corresponding IDX files. I believe the IDX files contain the timecode values.

Question is, how do I get the clips into Resolve Studio 17.2.2 with the correct TC start values, using the media pool? Or any method, for that matter?

I also have a Canon C100 Mk2 and I copy the contents of the SD cards from this camera to my local hard drive and point Resolve at the folder. It picks up the clips (even though they are in a sub folder) and also populates the Start TC values. The HDV cameras definitely have timecode on the clips because I can see it when I play the clips with the cameras in VCR mode.

Without being able to get TC from the momory recorder on the Sony HDV cameras, I think I'm stuffed when I'm trying to sync using timecode for a multicam edit in Resolve. Any help, much appreciated.
Old August 10th, 2021, 11:58 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Using a Sony HVR-MRC1 with Resolve Studio 17.2.2

Hi Andrew,

I'm not familiar with Resolve Studio (I am a Vegas guy) but have you tried importing to the PC via the Sony Recording Unit Utility?

Regards,
Steve
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2021, 04:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Renouf View Post
Hi Andrew,

I'm not familiar with Resolve Studio (I am a Vegas guy) but have you tried importing to the PC via the Sony Recording Unit Utility?

Regards,
Steve
Hi Steve,

I've put the files through the utility software and it did join up a couple of clips that were longer, as it should. But then I put those files into Resolve and it didn't pick up the Start TC data. However, Premiere Pro CS5 does, so I transfered the data by hand into Resolve Studio (right clicked each clip and typed the Start TC value into each Clip Attributes box). It was only 33 shots so didn't take long, but I'd love a proper way of doing it for when I have a lot more shots to match up to TC.
Old August 10th, 2021, 09:25 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Prince View Post
Hi all,

I've got a thorny problem. I've got two Sony HDV cameras with MRC1 memory recorders mounted on the back (Z5E & Z7E). I shot a film over the course of the day using free run timecode and recorded on the memory unit. The memory unit takes CF cards and records video clips with corresponding IDX files. I believe the IDX files contain the timecode values.

Question is, how do I get the clips into Resolve Studio 17.2.2 with the correct TC start values, using the media pool? Or any method, for that matter?
As Steve is suggesting being a Vegas guy that Sony or Magix Vegas Pro will import correctly with the correct time code sub-data embedded in the files. I never had any issues in any NLE with the files after Vegas was used to ingest and span them correctly.
Though I can't see why if you are following the procedure below with the Sony Recording Unit Utility software why Resolve isn't seeing the code properly. Would be good if you could upload a file or two so some of us can try to find out why this is happening.

Software: HVR-DR60/MRC1K: Sony Recording Unit Utility Software (Windows)

"This software transfers movie files from a HVR-DR60 or CompactFlash card to a folder on the hard disk drive (HDD) of your PC.

During this process, it will also merge together any footage that has been divided into two or more .M2T files by the FAT32specification of the HVR-DR60 and CompactFlash cards. The software also changes file names automatically during transfer to avoid duplication of the same name.

NOTE: The ‘Sony Recording Unit/Final Cut Pro 6 Plug-in Software’ for Macintosh is available under BPE-SS-038D.

Applies to:

HVR-DR60
HVR-MRC1K
HVR-S270E
HVR-Z5E
HVR-Z7E"

Download it from here:
https://pro.sony/en_GB/support-resou...mpengb00000128

Failing that you may find Sony Content Management Utility may fix the problem.
https://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/cmu

or even the free Sony Catalyst Browse software.
https://www.sonycreativesoftware.com...atalystprepare

Chris Young

Last edited by Christopher Young; August 10th, 2021 at 10:05 PM.
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2021, 07:40 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yeah, I don't have Vegas to try. I think the cemra actually came with v9.0 way back when I bought it, but that's long gone. I've moved house twice since then.

I think it's just a case of Resolve not being able to process the IDX files from the camera, hence it doesn't injest the Start and End TC data.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000