Image flip for Lens Adaptors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 16th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #1
Major Player

Image flip for Lens Adaptors

Speaking of Redrock and other lens adaptors, does anyone know if these cameras will do an image flip like the JVC 200 series cameras?
Old November 16th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Not sure about the camera having flip... but I just let Cineform do that..

no issue
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Sure. But it is just nice when you don't have turn your monitor upside down while shooting.
Old November 16th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

yep, sorry I forgot about that .... I was talking about post and you were talking about real time...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 03:10 AM   #5
Trustee

I have read that Dennis (brevis35) filp unit is an addon that can be used on any adapter...
I would be more interested in knowing if there's any 35mm adapter company there planning to come out with an adapter that will fit directly into the Z7's bayonet mount (like the letus xl or so). Now THAT would cool.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Sony is definitely releasing a factory 35mm lens adapter (accepting Sony SLR lenses) for the Z7, correct? One would think that the flip feature would be integrated into the camera (or the proprietary adapter).

It would be really nice if they also accepted Nikon lenses...
Old December 1st, 2007, 08:23 AM   #7
Major Player

Sony has announced that they will produce an optional adaptor for the Z7/S270 that will allow you to use Sony/Minolta DSLR lenses, but I haven't seen any word about 35mm lenses.

However, some reports have said that the lens mounts will be compatible with 1/3" HD lenses made for the JVC HD100 series. If so, perhaps some of the Zoerk adapters will work? http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/3...&feature_id=22
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:21 AM   #8
Major Player

From what I gather about the Sony factory lens adapter for their Sony/Minolta lenses is that it is a similar effect as the EOS adapter for the Canon XL series cameras. Which is to say it is not an adapter that will let you get the field of view and depth of field of 35mm lenses (like you get from the Brevis/M2/Letus/etc.) but it just lets you use different glass, but I think the focal length is something like 7x with this adapter. So if you put a Sony 50mm SLR lens on it it becomes a 350mm. It seems like a silly adapter that I know XL owners did not pick up as much as Canon hoped. I think its good for the nature photographers because of the telephoto capability, but I can't think of too many other practical uses. Unfortunately with the prevalence of 35mm adapters now (for achieving shallow DOF) this adapter may confuse many customers.

That said, I know Cinevate is making a relay lens for their Brevis to work with the JVC HD100 series cams, and isn't the new Sony the same mount?
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:37 AM   #9
Major Player

Actually, in my case, I'm more interested in using a 35mm SLR lens as a lightweight telephoto lens than I am in replicating a shallow DOF. That wildlife thing is exactly what I have in mind. But you're right, I think there will be a lot of confusion about exactly what this adaptor will do.
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:49 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Eckstein View Post
That said, I know Cinevate is making a relay lens for their Brevis to work with the JVC HD100 series cams, and isn't the new Sony the same mount?
Yes. It is the same mount as the JVC and the pickups are both 1/3 inch. So, in theory the Letus, pending Brevis and other adaptors should work fine.

I was hoping for electronic flip inside of the camera like the JVC 200 series, but I guess Sony missed that feature.
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:51 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Eckstein View Post
From what I gather about the Sony factory lens adapter for their Sony/Minolta lenses is that it is a similar effect as the EOS adapter for the Canon XL series cameras. Which is to say it is not an adapter that will let you get the field of view and depth of field of 35mm lenses (like you get from the Brevis/M2/Letus/etc.) ... Unfortunately with the prevalence of 35mm adapters now (for achieving shallow DOF) this adapter may confuse many customers.
Right about the confusion. When I read that this camera would have interchangeable lens' I immediately assumed that it would do away with the need for a Brevis. I hate to sound ignorant, but I do want to know, why won't this work? I mean, if you can put a different lens on the camera, why can't you put on a lens that would give you shallow DOF?

Last edited by Mark OConnell; December 1st, 2007 at 09:52 PM. Reason: typo
Mark OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:55 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Letus Extreme and Letus Mini 35 flip in the adapter so every thing shows up right in the viewfinder.
Old December 1st, 2007, 10:21 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Letus Extreme and Letus Mini 35 flip in the adapter so every thing shows up right in the viewfinder.
I understand that. But why couldn't you put on a lens that would give you shallow depth of field (whether upside down or not)?
Mark OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:17 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark OConnell View Post
Right about the confusion. When I read that this camera would have interchangeable lens' I immediately assumed that it would do away with the need for a Brevis. I hate to sound ignorant, but I do want to know, why won't this work? I mean, if you can put a different lens on the camera, why can't you put on a lens that would give you shallow DOF?
Mark what you are grappling with here comes down to the basic properties of lenses. Sensor size and depth of field are directly and irrevocably related. The small image plane (1/3" for example) of consumer DV cameras prohibits the shallow DOF qualities of 35mm film. Regardless of what lens you slap onto the front of it, the projected image will fall onto a sensor chip that is a fraction of the size of a 35mm film plane. As a result, a 50mm focal length lens for a 35mm SLR camera or cine lens turns into something like a 500mm lens from the perspective of your tiny chip camera; it only sees a fractional cutout of your 50mm projected image.

So the solution here is to use an intermediate image plane to project onto, between your SLR/cine lens and your tiny chip camera's lens. That is what a 35mm adapter does. You get the entire 35mm image rendered in front of your lens on the surface of a frosted piece of glass.

Take a look at this:
http://jtauber.com/2006/03/sensor_sizes.png

Imagine an image the size of the square at the bottom. That is what your SLR lens will produce. Now imagine it projected, at the same size, over the square at the top.

Yikes!
Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:43 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter View Post
Take a look at this:
http://jtauber.com/2006/03/sensor_sizes.png

Imagine an image the size of the square at the bottom. That is what your SLR lens will produce. Now imagine it projected, at the same size, over the square at the top.

Yikes!
Thanks Ben for taking the time to respond. That is indeed a sobering graphic. It's beginning to make sense now.
Mark OConnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270