CF Recording Unit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 14th, 2007, 08:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

CF Recording Unit

Has anyone heard how much the CF Recording Unit is going to cost on it's own? And will it work with camera's such as the FX1?

This looks like a great way to go tapeless without investing in all new cameras.
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kendal View Post
Has anyone heard how much the CF Recording Unit is going to cost on it's own? And will it work with camera's such as the FX1?

This looks like a great way to go tapeless without investing in all new cameras.
A device like the HDV DR-60 works with any HDV camera with a Firewire output. It won't let you go tapeless though unless your camera has a mode which permits recording to an external device without recording to tape. What you will be able to do is record to both tape and the external device at the same time, which to me negates most of the advantage of such a device.

The new compact flash recorder would be the same if it used the same firewire connection that the HD-DR60 uses, but rumor has it that it uses a new proprietary connection that is only on the new cameras
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #3

Most cameras I'm aware of allow tapeless recording out of the firewire port.
Two companies are working on a solid state CF card recorder
1-Convergent Design, HD-SDI input, est. $5k
2-Cineform, using the cineform codec for compression, HDMI input, touchscreen, est, $2k
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston View Post
What you will be able to do is record to both tape and the external device at the same time, which to me negates most of the advantage of such a device.
I disagree. To me the beauty of this approach is exactly that it does allow parallel recording to tape and solid state. I'd envisage the solid state version being the one used to download and do most work on, whilst the tape version is a backup/archive.

Whilst tapeless working has always had potential merit, it's having in the past to actively backup and archive that has put some people off - this approach saves that effort. Couple that with the cheapness of CF and I think solid state has suddenly become viable for a lot more people.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm really surprised someone like Firestore or Citidisk haven't come out with a CF unit that works off of the Firewire port in the same way as existing hard drive units do. Just plain old HDV onto the CF cards. I would LOVE to have something like that for my XHA1.
Old December 15th, 2007, 11:24 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I don't know if Sony will sell the unit separately but it does come with a docking station that uses L batteries and seems to work as a normal iLink unit so it should record from any camcorder or deck too. I would be interested for my FX1 too.
Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #7
Major Player

I spoke with Sony ay DVExpo West and they said that yes, it would be sold separately, and that it should be ok to use on other cams. We shall see....
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 03:28 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wolla View Post
I spoke with Sony ay DVExpo West and they said that yes, it would be sold separately, and that it should be ok to use on other cams. We shall see....
Well that is interesting news. Now I wonder what Sony is going to charge for this...
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wolla View Post
Steve...did Sony give you any idea of the price and when it would be made available?
Old December 18th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #10
Major Player

No, unfortunately they did not.
As a group they were more up on the EX1 and did not seem overly familiar with the cam's cf recording unit. One of three was more knowledgeable than the other two, and he said that yes it should work fine on like a Z1/V1, but had no real idea about price and availability, although several people there were asking about it in that context.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 10:48 AM   #11
Major Player

CF recorder on non-Sony cameras?

If the Cf recorder will work with the Z1 and V1, I wonder if it will also work with a Canon, JVC or Panasonic? I have an XM1 that has suffered tape transport problems (been back to Canon several times but still doesn't work). A CF drive reading DV from the firewire output might be just the thing...
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #12
New Boot

Pretec 16GB / 24GB / 48GB CompactFlash cards

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/07/p...ctflash-cards/

when these CF card are available it should be very handy no more changing tape
Damon Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
"..........the outfit unveiled a 16GB, 24GB and 48GB CompactFlash card, with the 2GB - 24GB iterations available in 333x flavors (50MB/sec) and the 1GB - 48GB models available in 233x (35MB/sec). "
Damon, I opened that link half expecting to find them to be too slow for pro video, but even the top of the Sandisk range aren't quite 50MBs (400Mbs)! That's nearly 2/3 the spec of P2.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #14
New Boot

looks like the future all consumer and pro video camcorder
will be going tapeless

things do look bright, as the memory cards getting bigger faster and cheaper
this is what all of us been dreaming about all these year, look like its coming true

and tape most likely will be only good for backing up projets and archive
Damon Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #15
Major Player

Hows this for a deal:

http://flashmemory-store.stores.yaho...h-cf-card.html
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270