Fisheye Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 25th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Fisheye Lens

Can any one recommend a good fisheye lens for the Z7.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I found a whole bunch of them brand new on eBay, from primarily 3-4 stores. Just search for "72mm wide angle." They all seem to be about the same. I bought one for about $70 and love it so far. Good luck!
Bob Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 06:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I think Brian was referring to a fish-eye lens, not a WA. BH has this century optics fish-eye, but the price is hefty, guess you gotta pay for quality :-P

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...pter_Lens.html
Sean Hsieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Wow, at 3.58 lb that's a lot of weight hanging off the front lens.
John Gayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm not sure what the technical definition of "fish-eye" is, but most of the results on eBay for "72 mm wide angle" were actually identified as and appeared to be fish-eye (.4x-.5x) lenses. The word "fish-eye" just wasn't in the titles. In fact, I found the "wide-angle" titles to be misleading, as I had trouble finding what I would consider to be "real" wide angles (.7x) on eBay. Good luck!
Old March 23rd, 2008, 04:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I thought the difference was that fish eye was to give that bubble look on an image, where you would see the distortion because of the curvature of the lens, whereas wide-angle is simple just stepping down the magnification to give you a larger view in your composition? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because then I definitely have my terminology backwards.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:44 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Here's an entire video shot with what I've always called my fisheye lens. It's not totally bubble-like, but it's pretty clearly distorted. What do you think - "fisheye" or no?

http://www.indyvisual.com/2008/02/tr...ot-111207.html

But here's what you're probably thinking of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4rlY1SYeKE
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:49 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ridge View Post
Here's an entire video shot with what I've always called my fisheye lens. It's not totally bubble-like, but it's pretty clearly distorted. What do you think - "fisheye" or no?

http://www.indyvisual.com/2008/02/tr...ot-111207.html

But here's what you're probably thinking of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4rlY1SYeKE
It feels like both of them are fish-eye lenses, although clearly in order for a wide-angle to work, it must be convex to capture more data. I'm beginning to think that the terms are interchangeable, but when it becomes extremely bubble like (youtube link), then it should be referred to as just a fish-eye. btw, your footage is great, what magnification is your wide-angle at?
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:09 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks. That "fisheye" is .5x, I think... Shot with the V1U.

Oh, goodness, I just checked and saw that it's .3x! I just used the new eBay one (72mm .45x) with my Z7U and did notice that it wasn't quite as distorted as I was used to. Now I know why. Duh... So I guess that's as "fisheye" as the common ones on eBay (search term "72mm wide angle") get. The .3x one is a Raynox 58mm that I got for about $130 at B&H.
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #10
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
Can any one recommend a good fisheye lens for the Z7.
Brian,

We are currently evaluating various options for creating a fisheye lens for the Z7. Sony wouldn't cooperate with us on obtianing a pre-production unit so we are forced to develop one just recently. We make all of our Century lenses for each camera specifically and the new optics in the Z7 require us to design a new attachment. I will keep all posted on developments of this product as I get more info from my Engineering department.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Avery View Post
Brian,

We are currently evaluating various options for creating a fisheye lens for the Z7. Sony wouldn't cooperate with us on obtianing a pre-production unit so we are forced to develop one just recently. We make all of our Century lenses for each camera specifically and the new optics in the Z7 require us to design a new attachment. I will keep all posted on developments of this product as I get more info from my Engineering department.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Thanks Ryan
Also let me know if you have a fisheye for the XDCAM EX
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks Ryan
Also let me know if you have a fisheye for the XDCAM EX
The Super Fisheye for the EX1 should be available late this week or next. I am on the road and haven't talked with the Factory in Van Nuys in a few days.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Old April 18th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Avery View Post
The Super Fisheye for the EX1 should be available late this week or next. I am on the road and haven't talked with the Factory in Van Nuys in a few days.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

I tried the lens out at NAB looks good Ryan let me know when it is available for purchase.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:19 AM   #14

Quote:
I tried the lens out at NAB looks good Ryan let me know when it is available for purchase.
It looks like we are going to have this lens shipping to customers around the end of May. We are currently working to produce as many units as possible.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Old April 25th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #15
New Boot

Wait to see what Schneider Comes Out With

I've been in touch with Schneider (Century Optics) on this issue.

"Regarding the Z7U, we anticipate .6X adapter and a 1.6X tele-
converter to be available in sixty days. The wide angle converters and fisheye's will not be available for some time as they require a re-design of our optics to work properly."

I would wait to see what they develop before plopping down your duckets. This company is great. I recently though I had a scratch on one of my lenses and sent it to them to see if they could do anything about it. I expected to hear the worst. Within a couple of days I was notified that something had splashed onto the lens and dried. They were able to clean it and sent it back at no charge. Schneider rocks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270