HVR-S270 and HVR-Z7 rewiev (preproduction models) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 29th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HVR-S270 and HVR-Z7 rewiev (preproduction models)

Hello, here is a translated german review of the new HVR-S270 and HVR-Z7 camcorders.

http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
Alessandro Zumstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:35 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Google translation forms this report rather with difficulty to read. I am surprised, why there are reports any longer not appearing?
Mike Paterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 07:04 AM   #3
New Boot

Very funny Mike, however not very constructive.

Are there any German speakers on the forum who could provide us with a better translation of the key points, particularly the comments about the cameras performance.

John
John Bain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Paterson View Post
Google translation forms this report rather with difficulty to read. I am surprised, why there are reports any longer not appearing?
Thanks Mike. You really made me laugh!
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Nice to see the British sense of humour is alive and well!

On a more serious note, struggling through that Google translation, it's beginning to look like this new Sony Z7 may actually offer NO real improvement (image wise) over some of it's older Sony HD cousins (EXCAM - EX1 aside.)

1. Is this a fair statement????
2. Have any more reviews written in English appeared yet?

Personally, I'm still struggling with "why would I want to pay top wack for one of these Z7's" in my head - apart for the nice CF card workflow/tape back-up options. The Z7 is about 4,450 quid in the UK....that's nearly $9,000 US!!!

More user opinions from those of you who actually have the new Z7 would be most welcome.
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

seriously, I'm surprised there are not more reviews appearing. I'd like to see a Z1/Z7 comparison focussing specifically on image quality. As you say Andy, I suspect there is not a lot of difference.
Mike Paterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
The Z7 is about 4,450 quid in the UK....that's nearly $9,000 US!!!
That seems expensive - a supplier only about two hours drive from you has it listed on their website at £4250 inc VAT (£3,617 if you're VAT registered). It puts it about £1,000 more than a Z1, but for that you do get the CF workflow and a true manual lens.

It may not be worth trading a Z1 in for, but for anyone moving up to HD from a PD150 say, the Z7 may be well worth the extra.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:38 AM   #8
New Boot

I too am surprised at the lack of English language reviews on the HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270. When the PMW-EX1 came out there were reviews and sample footage everywhere. Possibly the HVR-Z7 & HVR-S270 are in a different sub-professional category that reviewers just don't want to spend time reviewing them.

Hopefully as I am typing this, someone somewhere is putting together a very comprehensive review for us all to read - and if not, could someone with the appropriate resources please hurry up and do so.

Also the Sony link in the "Sticky Threads" has been disconnected -at least for me anyway.

John
Old March 7th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I second John's post. Where the heck are the Z7 reviews? Or a Z1/Z7 shootout? Anyone?

(Eerie echo...then silence)
Gabriel Chiefetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 05:10 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Juan Martinez of Sony Electronics gives a video presentation of the HVR-Z7 and S270 on

http://ieba.wordpress.com/2007/11/29...-s270-hvr-z7u/

Well worth a viewing.
Mike Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:10 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Here's a page with good info such as PDF documents but not really any reviews.

http://www.humanvalues.net/hdv/#z7
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

If someone wants to contribute an in-depth review of the Z7 and / or the S270, I'll make it a featured article here on DV Info Net.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #13
Major Player

I'm possibly going to put a Z7 up against a Z1 here in the next week or so, but I really don't know where to start in terms of what you guys are looking for. Let me know what you want tested, what your questions are, and I'll see if I can compare them!

C
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #14
New Boot

Another German language review with Google translation.

http://translate.google.com/translat...AU253%26sa%3DN
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Middleton View Post
Let me know what you want tested, what your questions are, and I'll see if I can compare them!
Large amounts of virtual beer to you if you can:

- Compare Z1 1080i downconvert to SD vs Z7 1080p to SD progressive (looking for increased levels of sharpness with an eye towards web delivery)

- Compare Z1 Cine Gamma presets to some of the Z7's recipes, looking for smooth ramping of highlights (no sudden icebergs) and shadows (rich tonality even in the dark bits) - does it feel like well exposed Kodachrome?

- Sharpness of Z1 lens (using Sharpening at 8 - which is the halfway point) vs the Z7 lens (at a similar setting?)

- Record Start timings from pressing button to red record lamp showing in HDV for Z1, Z7 and Z7 to Compact Flash

- High contrast and low contrast available light indoors and out

- Side by side takes of Z1 and Z7 in low light (as the lighting gets lower and lower)

- Hand held telephoto (I believe Z1 and Z7 are different) using OIS vs same on tripod

- Audio inputs and limiters (I hope the Z7 has a limiter rather than just AGC), so recording a loud but intermittent noise source at gradually increasing gain. We'll get to hear whether it pumps or dips.

- What effect of switching in 1.5 extender? In SD and in HDV?

Just a few questions. Sorry. :)
Matt Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270