A-Data 32GB speedy cf cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 6th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #1
New Boot

A-Data 32GB speedy cf cards

Anyone tried these things? They are the cheapest 2.5 hours I have ever seen.
Derek Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm almost finished my review/write-up of CF cards. A-data was among the worst performers. While they weren't bad, they weren't great. In addition, it was the only one that gave problems with recording/pausing and sync was off by 3 seconds after about 10 minutes.

I've been testing several cards and it's been quite interesting as to the results.

The 32-A-data card isn't bad....but I'd personally spend a bit more for something else. I actually thought the Transcend's would give me some problems, but they faired better than many others - huge surprise to me.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Levy View Post
I'm almost finished my review/write-up of CF cards. A-data was among the worst performers. While they weren't bad, they weren't great. In addition, it was the only one that gave problems with recording/pausing and sync was off by 3 seconds after about 10 minutes.

I've been testing several cards and it's been quite interesting as to the results.

The 32-A-data card isn't bad....but I'd personally spend a bit more for something else. I actually thought the Transcend's would give me some problems, but they faired better than many others - huge surprise to me.
Jesus Marshall... You've said you are almost finished with your write up for two weeks now... Is this what you tell your brides? :-)
Bruce Ostrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Hey, thanks! I travel so much and am always out - I'm actually out of town now, typing this on my phone.

I'll have it done and complete on Friday and sending it to another forum....but I'll post some stuff here as well.
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Hey, thanks! I travel so much and am always out - I'm actually out of town now, typing this on my phone.

I'll have it done and complete on Friday and sending it to another forum....but I'll post some stuff here as well.
Jesus Marshall it is Wednesday already!! ;-)
Bruce Ostrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Ostrout View Post
Jesus Marshall it is Wednesday already!! ;-)
It'll be published this coming Friday - finally -, but not on this forum. I don't know the specifics of linking to or mentioning other forums and such on DVInfo.net, so that's why I haven't posted anything thus far. It's actually been finished for a while.
Old March 12th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Which card did best? Personally, I'm not surprised at Transcend doing well. Their cards tend to get very good feedback ratings from customers at Newegg. A-Data's flash memory cards don't get very good feedback ratings from Newegg customers, which surprises me a little, since their RAM memory for computers gets great feedback ratings.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #8
Major Player

I tested the following cards...

Sandisk Ducati 4GB
Sandisk Extreme IV
Sandisk Extreme III
Transcend 32GB
Transcend 16GB
Kingston 16GB
Kingston 8GB
Lexar 8G-133
Lexar 8G-300
A-Data Speedy

Those that faired best were...
Sandisk Ducati
Sandisk Extreme IV
Lexar 8G-300

Most of the cards were loaners, but I now own the following that are used with my four Z7U's...

9 Sandisk Extreme III 16G (not the fastest by any means, and had sync issues)
2 Transcend 32G (slower than some, but faired a lot better overall)
1 each of Lexar 8-300, Sandisk 8-IV

I should be getting one or two of the new Sony cards for testing but we'll see - Sony is so particular about who gets what.
Old March 12th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
Which card did best? Personally, I'm not surprised at Transcend doing well. Their cards tend to get very good feedback from customers at Newegg.
Well, actually, a few years ago I did some testing on Transcend products and they did really poorly, and I was so shocked at how well they did overall. I also found out that they use Samsung and Toshiba memory in their CF cards, as many of the others use, so the ending results were almost the same. Makes me wonder how different the cards are other than branding.
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Have you considered testing MiniDV tapes? It sure would be nice if somebody did that, but it would be a lot more work.
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #11
Major Player

That'd be interesting. I wonder how that could be done, other than reliability and consistency ratings. I know tape strength tests could be an option, but I couldn't even guess who has that equipment.
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
That'd be interesting. I wonder how that could be done, other than reliability and consistency ratings. I know tape strength tests could be an option, but I couldn't even guess who has that equipment.
A very useful measurement rating would be number of bits dropped per unit of recording time (minute, hour, whatever - to give an apples to apples comparison for different tape lengths). This could be done by recording a test file from a computer to tape, reading back to computer, and comparing the files to see how many bits are different.

The biggest difficulty I foresee, is a need to carefully clean the heads of the recording deck between each tape tested, otherwise the results could easily be considerably skewed. It would probably be a very good idea to test more than one sample of each type tape, preferably from different batches. The variation from tape to tape, even the same brand and grade, could be considerable. Measuring the variation could also provide a very useful rating.

It would be nice to measure head wear, but that would be far more difficult.
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #13
Major Player

Sounds interesting, and I think you should handle that one! I don't think I'd have the patience for that one. It would be a decent test, though.
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #14
Major Player

Please give more details about the A-data because if it works decently (even if it's not the fastest), I'm gonna pick one up this friday.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I'm not sure about the 32GB A-Data "Speedy" CF, but on Newegg's site, they say the 16GB "Speedy" is a 40X card. That card might be on the hairy edge of being capable of fast enough (real world) write speeds to capture a live HDV stream. Personally, I'd go the safe route, and get a 133X Transcend, for a few bucks more.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270