My take on the Z7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 7th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My take on the Z7

So................ FINALLY i got the chance to shoot a wedding using the new Z7.

I've read alot of reviews, some good but most bad. Mine is a positive one.

I really liked it.

Design is good, menu settings easy, all buttons nicely positioned, not too Heavy (i was expecting it to be much heavier) and more important than anything (in regards to my personal wants and needs) AWESOME in low-light.

Unfortantly i only have FCP 5 so i couldn't upload the footage via the compact flash card, but the device itself seemed easy enough to use. Plus, it could double as a handy back up if you are ever coming close to running out of tape at a cruicial moment (almost happened to me!)

The only real issue i had was with the lens.......... It did search quite a bit and it looked like it really didn't know what to focus on. Plus it is a bit 'jerky' in zooming???

The "Rolling Shutter" issue was never a problem. I actually had 2 photographer flash like crazy for 30sec right near my camera just so i could try and re-create the problem in Chad's clip that he uploaded........ but i haven't seen any problems in the footage that i have seen so far.

Keep in mind......... this is just one job........... and others have used the camera far more times than myself,.........but after one job i can say that i am happy with the camera. Very happy.
Ryan Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Unfortantly i only have FCP 5 so i couldn't upload the footage via the compact flash card

I'm trying to play catch-up on all the things that the various cameras can and can not do.

By your statement above I'm going to assume that using FCP 4.5 or FCE I will not be able to use the Compact Flash. Would that be correct?

Thanks.
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

yes.

The download that Sony put up on their website (for Compact Flash uploading thourgh FCP) is for the latest verison only.

You could always capture from the Compact flash through the camera.......but it kind of defeats the purpose.
Ryan Lester is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270