Z7 MAJOR problem? - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 6th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #106
Regular Crew

Got the "repaired" cam in.... The left side does not blur, but now any blacks on the right side are grey. Move the focus chart to the left and the black is black move it to the right and it turns hazy grey.
Bruce Ostrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #107
New Boot

Hmmm... having said I thought the problem had gone away, I did some more tests and found it's still there. (The blur at wide end of the zoom, exactly as outlined in this thread.) I sent some stills to Sony PrimeSupport in the UK and they accepted it was a problem over the phone. They are forwarding the tests to Japan for comment. I should hear on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Thanks to all those pushing to get this sorted.
Henry Peplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #108
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Hunka View Post
Below is are links to the stills including an enhanced comparison of the left, center and right areas of the frame.

http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?im...camtestpi7.jpg
http://img370.imageshack.us/my.php?i...comparesg1.jpg
Left object, upper-left spoke has more CA than any other part of the image.

While it's normal for there to be CA -- it should be symetrical around the center.
Old August 4th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #109
New Boot

anything new on this thread, i have been seeing a overall softness to our images and i am trying to think if i should change manufacturers or is there a "sony" fix
joe
Joe Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 04:33 AM   #110
New Boot

Any News? Anyone fixed the problem completely?

This thread appears to have died... Any news on what is going on with the lens issue? I'm pretty sure my camera has the same problem, there is definitely some blurring on the left side of the lens when zoomed all the way out. Has SONY acknowledged the problem? and are they fixing it?
Max Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 08:12 AM   #111
Contributor

Max Carlson,

Register you camera on Sony's website, if you haven't already, with the model number, serial number, etc. Then contact Sony Repair service center (for you, in California) and ship your camera to Sony for lens repair. I am told it only takes a couple weeks and Sony will repair the lens focus problems that have plagued the early versions of this camera. Good luck.
Old August 26th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #112
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Carlson View Post
This thread appears to have died... Any news on what is going on with the lens issue? I'm pretty sure my camera has the same problem, there is definitely some blurring on the left side of the lens when zoomed all the way out. Has SONY acknowledged the problem? and are they fixing it?
Sony has had both of my Z7 cams back several times. They have had 1 of them right now for 2 weeks and are supposedly sending me a new replacement, we'll see if it fares any better. I actually just went back to the Z1 as my primary cam on the last 2 shoots since the Z7 hasn't shown much benefit over the Z1 to me up to this point.
Old August 26th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #113
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Ostrout View Post
Sony has had both of my Z7 cams back several times. They have had 1 of them right now for 2 weeks and are supposedly sending me a new replacement, we'll see if it fares any better. I actually just went back to the Z1 as my primary cam on the last 2 shoots since the Z7 hasn't shown much benefit over the Z1 to me up to this point.
how did you find going back to your Z1 Bruce
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #114
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post
how did you find going back to your Z1 Bruce
Off the top of my head.....

Image wise they have seemed to be pretty much the same except in dark situations at telephoto where the Z7 stops to 2.0 and Z1 stops to 2.8. The built in lens of the Z1 zooms and focuses manually on servo MUCH faster than the Z7 which is a necessity for Lanc and run and gun use. I find on shoots I am getting to my composition and sharp focus several seconds or more faster than the Z7 which is big for me. I can use the CO zoom thru WA bayonet mount on the Z1 and the fact that Sony changed the 72MM bayonet mount on the Z7 so you can't use Z1 72MM adapters is bullcrap in itself much less the fact that you still can't even get a proper WA adapter for it months after release.

Z1 uses color peaking and Z7 downgrades to Wite/Black only which is virtually useless on the tiny & glossy LCD screen. Yeah it is nice that there are more pixels on the screen, but with the small size, gloss and useless black peaking all the screen does is trick you into thinking you are in focus when you are not. IMO the larger LCD on the Z1 and red peaking trump the Z7 yet again.

I like the CF recorder, but SONY Vegas doesn't work well at all with them, so even though I was one of the first to take delivery of these cams I still have to capture all the tapes anyway. The CF also gets hot as fire, which is why I think the extended batteries run time is significantly shorter than on the Z1.
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #115
Regular Crew

Actually on the last 2 shoots the only thing I recall missing from the Z7 is the live histogram.
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #116
Major Player

I noticed on the Z1 when zoomed in the iris decreases i have had it go below 2.8 i wonder is there anyway to disable this so you can open the iris all the way
I have always been using a pro lens and could always zoom in and open the iris to what i liked so when i picked up a z1 or z7 for the first time i thought i was doing something wrong but i guess i wasn't

Rob
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #117
New Boot

Vortex Video

I had some general concerns as well, however, after purchasing and watching the Z7U Instructional video from Vortex Media, I felt real comfortable with the camera.
David Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:32 PM   #118
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post
I noticed on the Z1 when zoomed in the iris decreases i have had it go below 2.8 i wonder is there anyway to disable this so you can open the iris all the way
I have always been using a pro lens and could always zoom in and open the iris to what i liked so when i picked up a z1 or z7 for the first time i thought i was doing something wrong but i guess i wasn't

Rob
I think thats how it is, the more you zoom in the darker it gets.
Anthony Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270