Humming Noise in Z7U lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 20th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Humming Noise in Z7U lens

I did a wildlife shoot this weekend and as I was sitting in my hide waiting on wild turkeys to approach, I noticed a "humming" noise coming from my camera. As I examined further, I isolated the bothersome noise to the lens.

I took every measure I could come up with to figure out what was going on, and I concluded that there is a constant motor noise. This was occuring while the camera was powered up only, but it only occurs while the camera is in idle...not standby.

The only way I can describe the noise is to compare it to the sounds one hears when listening into a conch shell...almost sounded like soft wind.

Anyone else having this experience?
Jake Latendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Is there a small fan on the motor in this lens??? Anyone? Anyone?
Jake Latendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:15 PM   #3
New Boot

I believe what you are hearing is the gyros that are built into the lens for optical stabilization. It would be a sort of a hum.

That is my best guess.

Paul
Paul Therrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:52 PM   #4
Major Player

If you're on a tripod you can turn the optical stabilization off. That stops the sound. It is pretty quiet though. I'm surprised it is bothering you.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:13 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston View Post
If you're on a tripod you can turn the optical stabilization off. That stops the sound. It is pretty quiet though. I'm surprised it is bothering you.
It doesnt really bother me, as much as it had me worried. With all this talk of the Z7 lenses, I was concerned something was wrong. Now I know...thanks!!

Jake
Jake Latendresse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270