chromatic aberrations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 28th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #1
New Boot

chromatic aberrations

Hello guys, what do you think about the chromatic aberrations on the zeiss lens? Is it ok for you?
Arnaud Keil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnaud Keil View Post
Hello guys, what do you think about the chromatic aberrations on the zeiss lens? Is it ok for you?
Do you have a specific lens in mind or do you mean all Ziess lenses in general?
Frank Genus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #3
Tourist

Since this is the 'Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 Forum,' I suspect that Arnaud is asking if anyone has noticed significant chromatic aberration on the lens that is supplied as standard equipment with those cameras.
Jim Pyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pyle View Post
Since this is the 'Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 Forum,' I suspect that Arnaud is asking if anyone has noticed significant chromatic aberration on the lens that is supplied as standard equipment with those cameras.

Yes I understand this is about the Z7. I just never heard of chromatic aberration and was looking for an answer as to what it is. I looked it up. Honestly people are any of you just having fun with this piece of equipment? It seems like since I got this camera all there have been are issues to check out.

Are there any more issues people can find with this camera?

Bruce
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #5
Major Player

Arnaud, are you saying that you ARE seeing significant chromatic aberration in the Z7 lens, or are you asking if there is any?
Old April 30th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I have noticed CA a few times in harsh lighting. Nothing I wouldn't expect from a cheap lens.
Bruce Ostrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #7
New Boot

I don't know what to think...
On my PC monitor, a Iiyama2403ws, I do see a lot of chromatic aberrations on the left side of the pictures of my Z7.
If I move the picture on the Window's desk, the aberrations remain on the left side of the picture, even if I move the picture on the right side of my monitor... not easy to explain... ;) This to confirm that the chromatic aberrations are part of the picture/film and not my PC monitor.
When I open that still picture with a picture viewer on another PC, I do not see no more chromatic aberrations!
So I can't confirm that those aberrations are part of the Z7 pictures. Indeed, I wonder how a LCD monitor can create blue or purple shiftings on a picture... so... there might be chromatic aberrations on my Z7 Zeiss lens, but it depends on what it's monitored...

http://www.keil.fr/Z7leftside/z7%20left%20side.jpg

Please open that picture and give me feedback.
On my monitor, I can see purple and blue vertical shiftings on the left side of the door, nothing bad to the right side.
If you see color shiftings, it's coming from the lens, it's chromatic aberrations.
Arnaud Keil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnaud Keil View Post
http://www.keil.fr/Z7leftside/z7%20left%20side.jpg

Please open that picture and give me feedback.
On my monitor, I can see purple and blue vertical shiftings on the left side of the door, nothing bad to the right side.
If you see color shiftings, it's coming from the lens, it's chromatic aberrations.
Looks cool to me...I guess your PC monitor just reacts in a funny way to certain colors.

What does it look like when you play it back on the camera LCD screen?
Darko Debelic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270