120 FPS with the Z7U - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 18th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston View Post
The overcranking of the EX1 is far superior to the one on the Z7.
Up to 60 fps, yes. Just like you pay a lot for exotic fast prime lenses on SLRs for that special shot, I'd like to see some way out there video features on the EX1, such as 120p or 240p fps, even if the quality is dropped.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce G. Cleveland View Post
I think it only works with tape.

Bruce
You are right. It works fine with tape.

kdbf
Keith Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #18
Major Player

I tried this test of 120fps... I probably should have used a higher shutter speed then it wouldn't have been so blurry.... I'll do another better one soon with a green screen background. Just need the wife to stop yelling at me for shooting....

http://www.vimeo.com/1028358
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #19
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
I tried this test of 120fps... I probably should have used a higher shutter speed then it wouldn't have been so blurry.... I'll do another better one soon with a green screen background. Just need the wife to stop yelling at me for shooting....

WOW again!
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Very nice work!

The V1 has this feature also, its adjustable from 3 sec to 12 sec. The quality isn't as good as this though.
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:07 AM   #21
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
I tried this test of 120fps... I probably should have used a higher shutter speed then it wouldn't have been so blurry....

This from the camera Operating Guide...

"The shutter speed is automatically set to 1/250 second when you start [SMTH SLW REC]." (Page 72)
Jim Pyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 05:54 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston View Post
The overcranking of the EX1 is far superior to the one on the Z7.
If 60fps is enough for you, if you don't need full rez then the Z7 is much more useful for slow mo. EX1 on the whole is a better camera w/o question, IF you don't need interchangable lens, or cheap & easy archvie (ie tape). But that was a big enough IF for me to go w/ the Z7 (plus it was $2k cheaper).

I have to say though, I was amazed at how much improvement the Z7U smooth slow record has over the HC3 (the first smooth-slow Sony camera). The HC3 would be fine for youtube, but the Z7U looks like you wouldn't see a rez difference if you mixed it with DVCam/Beta/any SD format.
Zach Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:58 PM   #23
New Boot

smooth slow quality

I agree I think even though Tudo Bem (www.lafayettehillstudios.com/rio) was recorded 1080i it looks like about SD quality. Which is fine because its a huge bonus to me that this camera can even do this. It seems as thought it only works in interlace mode, which I don't understand so if your in 1080 24P you have to switch to interlace to execute the smooth slow record. But wow how we take this for granted, I used to shoot high speed film with an Arri photosonic camera, at 500 fps, it would burn 400ft of film (10 minutes) in 30 seconds, at $130 bucks a roll then add processing and transfer. The camera also sounded like a jet engine. 120 fps for a prosumer camera even at SD quality is not only a great feature, it's fun. I hope more cameras implement this feature, I agree with Gints Klimanis would love to see this on the EX even if the quality is dropped.

Mike Brand
mbrand@lafayettehillstudios.com
Mike Brand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270