Useless eyepiece viewfinders at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 13th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Useless eyepiece viewfinders

Am I alone in thinking that the eyepiece viewfinder on the 270( z 7) is terrible? Without zooming in to check focus on a given shot it is extremely difficult to know whether the camera is in focus or not. This is especially annoying when the whole purpose of the camera is to shoot HD pix. The LCD screen is better but cannot be used when shoulder mounting as it is too close ( for me) to see clearly or when it is very bright outside . I took off the magnifying lens to see the actual chip I was looking at and it is tiny (1/3 inch I believe) There is a lot of room in the housing for a larger display so why go for one this size. the housing is similar to my old DSR 570 which had a crisp b+w tubed eyepiece, the actual size before magnification was about one inch. So why not use a one inch lcd display in the 270 and magnify that? Surely this would give the definition required for HD.
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #2
Major Player

more or less do what they're doing w/ the EX3? it would be great if that was a the case,

that, or I think the worst part of the 270 is the view finder. if you want it to look like a real shoulder mount camera, you NEED a real viewfinder, imo B&W CRT & a LCD elsewhere, but I guess that would push the MSRP up how many $k?
Zach Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #3
Major Player

I used to have an original Canon ZR DV camera. Horrible, terrible piece of hardware, but it did have an interesting and useful feature. Instead of a separate viewfinder, Canon supplied a magnifying eyepiece that slipped over the LCD screen. Take it off, it's a monitor. Put it on, it's a viewfinder.

I'm surprised a third-party manufacturer hasn't manufactured something like this, especially with all the digital point 'n' shoot still cameras out there that lack a real viewfinder.
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:59 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi again , just seen a short video on the new EX3 and although it doesnt make me think I have bought the wrong camera the viewfinder arrangement is quite neat giving you the best of both worlds. Its a pity they didnt fit the same system to the 270. Also because the 270 viewfinder is hard wired it would be a factory job to fit a similar system as on the ex3 to the 270( I dont suppose Sony would consider making a retro fit update?). Dont think the ex3 is shoulder mounted at all so weight will still be the wrist causing pain during long operation. Also no tapes a non starter for me at the moment.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270