Picture profiles, gamma detail, frame rates, etc. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 15th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Picture profiles, gamma detail, frame rates, etc.

Now that many of us are out there using their new HVR-Z7U camcorders, I'm wondering what settings seem to work best for most folks. I'm just starting to play around with my cameras to determine what works best for me.

I tend to like the 30p mode best. The default settings seem to look good to me. I find the picture, in general, a bit soft so I've bumped my overall detail up to +2.

From what I understand from the Douglas Spotted Eagle Z7 training DVD, you can leave XY color on at all times, even if you don't have a monitor, etc. that takes advantage of it's expanded colour space. He says that by doing so you can future proff the original recordings, but your current NLE's and monitors will process the color just fine. I've done some tests and don't feel it looks as good as when leaving XY off. My monitor isn't XY complient.

So, I'd be curious to know if many have tinkered with many of the settings, gamma options, frame rates, detail etc. Sony has offered. I'd be curious to know also how others are setting up there cameras to shoot some great footage.

Ian
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Picture Profile Recipes

Hi everyone,

I've never had a camera with such tweakable picture profiles before.

I guess it's just a matter of experimentation but can anyone share some good recipes they've found work nicely for this camera?
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #3
Major Player

Training DVD

Hi Ian,

Sorry, I posted an almost identical thread before reading this. Experimenting with profiles shortly... will post updates here.

Would you recommend the Vasst Training DVD???... I've heard it's pretty much a walkthrough of the manual... is it worth the money for intermediate/advanced users?
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
Hi Ian,

Sorry, I posted an almost identical thread before reading this. Experimenting with profiles shortly... will post updates here.

Would you recommend the Vasst Training DVD???... I've heard it's pretty much a walkthrough of the manual... is it worth the money for intermediate/advanced users?
John I have the training dvd, and although it is very good, I don't think it is worth the money, as it is just a walk through the manual. Nothing I did not get from the manual.

Bruce
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Vasst Dvd

Hi, John . . .

I tried to PM you, but the DVInfo site says you are't set up to allow PM's. If you want to drop me a line at ian.campbell@digitalplayhouse.ca I can give you a bit of info. about the DVD -- plus let you know of other training material which I think might be better.

Ian
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Strange you feel the need to up the detail level, tends to be over-vigorous in video cams and most people end up knocking it down a bit in camera and adjusting in post. Favourite on EX1 for example seems to be around -30 detail.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
Sorry, I posted an almost identical thread before reading this.
Threads merged -- in the future if this happens, just use the report post function and one of us will merge the duplicate threads right away.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270