Moving from PD-170 to the Z7 (mini-review) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 13th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
oh well. older F mount manual focus lenses aren't too expensive to get.

yep, that's a fact. Hundreds of them around and even a prime 200 mm 2,8 (which becomes a 1400 mm on the Z7) is not expensive in this older series
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
Beautiful! Is the slow-mo done in the camera or in post? What music is that?
Hi Luc - slow mo is just a simple speed change to 50% in Adobe Premiere CS3. CS3 seems better at slowmo than previous versions. I got flickering in CS2 and had to use After Effects Time feature - slower but removed flicker.

Song was track 11 off the BraveHeart CD. The bride chose some terrible music (Bee Gees - Dolly Parton eek) that almost wrecked the video - but hey, if that's what she wants - she's paying!
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #18
Trustee

John,

Superb colour, loved the shots and the dramatic music, but hated the zooming out on almost every shot. It looks like the viewer is trying to get away from the scene. There must be a deep hidden meaning in this, are you divorced or had a some bad experience?

You don't have to answer this John, your work is superb.

Last edited by Vincent Oliver; June 13th, 2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: text correction
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #19
Inner Circle

John,

I REALLY hate to be picky....but I agree with Vincent, IF you had used slow zooming IN I think it would be much better than the all the zooming OUT (easy tweak in post). That being said, the images were beautiful and show a lot of creativeness on your part - really excellent. BTY, my best friend here in England is originally from Invercargill, South Island (which he calls the Ar%e end of NZ!)

Great info in this thread for someone like me who uses a PD150 a lot and is about to get a Z7.... so keep the thoughts and clips coming!

I promise to post something with my Z7 (when I eventually get it in the next month or so) and then you can tear my clips to pieces as well (hmm, I mean constructively comment about). :-)
Old June 13th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
Hi Luc - slow mo is just a simple speed change to 50% in Adobe Premiere CS3. CS3 seems better at slowmo than previous versions. I got flickering in CS2 and had to use After Effects Time feature - slower but removed flicker.

Song was track 11 off the BraveHeart CD. The bride chose some terrible music (Bee Gees - Dolly Parton eek) that almost wrecked the video - but hey, if that's what she wants - she's paying!
Thanks for the info, John.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
I agree with Vincent, IF you had used slow zooming IN I think it would be much better than the all the zooming OUT
Hi Andy & Vincent - yeah, fair comment. It's a nasty habit I've got into shooting handheld. If you zoom into subject, lock focus and exposure, then zoom out slowly (reveal shot) then it smoothes out any handheld bumps. Trouble is, I know I overuse it but actually prefer a reveal shot to a focusing (zoom-in) shot. Trying hard to get a mixture and balance of each!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
my best friend here in England is originally from Invercargill, South Island (which he calls the Ar%e end of NZ!)
Oh yes! It's horrible down there. I passed through Invercargill years ago and was raped 18 times... BEFORE I even got out the car! Was only there for 15 minutes!!!!

Here is some recent Invercargill news: http://www.stuff.co.nz/4583639a11.html

Last edited by John Knight; June 13th, 2008 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Added Link
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #22
Major Player

Stock Footage

Woohoo - my Z7 clips have just been accepted for sale at AlwaysHD!

Here is the link to my clips:
http://www.alwayshd.com/search_resul...ontrib_ID=1680

Tiger is my favourite!
Old June 13th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #23
Regular Crew

STUNNING stock footage

wow -

that tiger is remarkable!

thanks for sharing!

jamie
Old June 13th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #24
Major Player

Hi Bruce - no, seemed really easy. Just apply - upload good footage, add keywords, they decide the price, make the thumbnails etc, then give you 50% commission if a clip is sold.

The guy that owns it talks in this podcast about it all:
http://72.41.38.10/shows/thedvshow060108.mp3
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Yep, really stunning stock footage John and a very interesting site it's on. As for that Invercargill story..... least said about that the better!
Old July 7th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
John,

Superb colour, loved the shots and the dramatic music, but hated the zooming out on almost every shot. It looks like the viewer is trying to get away from the scene. There must be a deep hidden meaning in this, are you divorced or had a some bad experience?
Haha. This made me laugh.

But, i think the tempo of most of the dissolves and the zooming is way too fast. Imho, it should be much slower to catch the overall feeling of both the music and the wedding.

And i agree. The video made me feel something is wrong with the bride instead of thinking that she is very happy and that this is the moment of her life. The shot on the bridge made me think she is still all alone in this world. And i miss some real good close ups of definitive moments, like -the kiss- or the expression on the face when he slides the ring on her finger.

Anyway. I don't mean to bash. Just giving my opinion. :)
Chris van der Zaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris van der Zaan View Post
..... dissolves and the zooming is way too fast.... should be much slower..... made me feel something is wrong with the bride..... made me think she is still all alone in this world..... i miss some real good close ups....... Anyway. I don't mean to bash.
Good grief man!
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:57 AM   #28
Inner Circle

John,
I noticed that the camera seems to have problems with overexposing the whites, I saw some shots were everything was correctly exposed but the wedding dress was somewhat washed out with no detail. I do experience the same problem with my dvx100 and I've seem footage from a fx1 and a hvx200 which had the same problem. I often need to underexpose a bit to get it right.
I did see many clips from the xh-a1 however which did not seem to have any problems with displaying details in the shadow and white parts in the sunlight.
I just wonder if this is a typical Sony/Panasonic problem?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:10 AM   #29
Major Player

G'Day mate - the wedding dress shot was wrongly underexposed so I boosted the brightness and contrast in post.
Old July 8th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
Good grief man!
Don't take it personal. :)
Chris van der Zaan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270