Matching Z7 footage to one of the Compact High Definition Camcorders footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 28th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Matching Z7 footage to one of the Compact High Definition Camcorders footage

Hi Folks,
Wondering what type of things I need to look for when mixing footage from one of the Compact High Definition Camcorders to Z7 footage. I'm just looking for some tips as I want to make it as easy on myself as possible when throwing these two different camera shots into one timeline.

Stick with Sony? Or would the Canon HV30 work well with the Z7.
Todd Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #2
Major Player

For starters, I'd suggest making sure the gain, white balance, iris, and everything else are properly set and monitor the images for similarities. I've been able to match just about any camera I've used, mostly during filming, but also in post as needed.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Definitely, got that covered. I wondering about the different aspect ratios the cameras shoot it. It seems like some are a bit wider and narrower than others. It that a factor when trying to combine two different cameras in one project? I would like to stay away from stretching the compact frame size to match the Z7's frame size.
Todd Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It's all 16:9 no matter what the chip resolution is, unless you decide to shoot DV 4:3.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:22 AM   #5
Contributor

I have been using 2 Sony Z7U's along with a Canon HV20, and the footage matches great, as long as you are not under low light conditions (the Canon needs a bit more light). I was amazed how good the Canon footage looked. You won't have any problems.
Stephen Gradin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:18 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Z7 picture profiles

You have unlimited choice when you delve into the picture profiles and you can save them to a memory stick and transfer between cameras. This might take some trial and error but you could effectively match the cameras footage closely by setting the right profile on the Z7s. Forget about trying to set anything on the Canon, just let it go.
Jamie Kehoe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270