Getting the footage from CF to FCP - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 16th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Mpeg Streamclip?

Maybe thats the way to go. Should work and usually does a great job.
Casey Krugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #17
Trustee

I tried a usb reader on my systems and still no files appearing in the log and transfer window.
Everything mounts on the desktop and I can see the files in mpeg streamclip just as with the firewire readers.
Old June 24th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Issues importing via Log and Transfer

Has anyone had any problems importing files into FCP via Log and Transfer for files that are longer than 1 hour? I have been using a 16gb Sandisk CF Extreme III that has 30ms write and read speed. I can see the clip there, but it always hangs near the end of the import. I'm importing directly to my WD MyBook external harddrive via FW800. All other clips import fine, but they are usually around 20-30 mins long.

I have tried importing via a USB 2.0 cardreader as well as via the Firewire option with the CF Unit and cradle. same problem occurs on both.

Thanks.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:41 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Same Problem

It is weird as I have the latest Sony plugin, with the latest version of Final Cut Pro. It is running on a dual 2.3GHZ G5. Yes, I know I can't afford a Mac Pro right now... It always recognises the footage on the card, but won't always import it and I have only ever used the CF card from Sony, the 306x 8GB card. It came with my Z7's, or rather one for both.
I use Mpeg Streamclip which gets the job done nicely, also you can convert to ProRes 422 if you have done so with taped footage. I may end up always capturing this way, as I had no idea HDV took so long to compress to DVD in compressor. Does anybody know if it is faster to output using ProRes 422? I have no problems editing multiple camera angles in HDV, but to output is a real pain. Not sure what is going on with log and transfer, it seems intermittent for me. I am not sure Sony have gotten it quite right just yet. Their plugin I mean, not the camera.
Jamie Kehoe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270